Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

glasspack question

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
okay a simple question really. which way does a cherry bomb glasspack go? or should go? i been hearing it should catch the baffles and the other way would make it sound straight pipe like. some could be wrong and its the other way around? but what I want is maybe a throaty deep sound not raspy or crackling or if it will be cracky and raspy id like it to be at a minimun. short? long? 2.5 pipe? 3.0 pipe? im doing single pipe only 5.8 stock manifolds and stock cats. oh and should i include the mid pip? between the cherry and the cat? how long should that pipe be also???

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The longer the muffler, the quieter it will be.

When you install it, the opening should 'catch' the sound on the way out. Much like a cheese grater, you want the air to flow into the fiberglass.

Ryan

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
The longer the muffler, the quieter it will be.

When you install it, the opening should 'catch' the sound on the way out. Much like a cheese grater, you want the air to flow into the fiberglass.

Ryan

wow that was fast. okay that longer the length the quieter is was what i heard.... so id want the air flow to go into the fiberglass, okay, but is that for quiet or loud?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
They say a glasspack is bidirectional, but as has been said, if you orient it to 'catch' the sound, it will be quieter.

Also, I agree that the longer the unit is, the quieter it will be.

However, avoid the 3" pipe if you want it to be quiet... there is a resonance in the 3" system you can never get rid of. My Suburban has 3" single exhaust with a 36" Cherry Bomb gp and it's pretty throaty... too much for my liking. but try getting a 3" muffler to replace it... thats why it has the glasspack...

On the other hand, if you like it loud, a 3" system and a glasspack is the way to go. And alot cheaper than Magnaflow or Flowmaster...

Last edited:

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
They say a glasspack is bidirectional, but as has been said, if you orient it to 'catch' the sound, it will be quieter.

Also, I agree that the longer the unit is, the quieter it will be.

However, avoid the 3" pipe if you want it to be quiet... there is a resonance in the 3" system you can never get rid of. My Suburban has 3" single exhaust with a 36" Cherry Bomb gp and it's pretty throaty... too much for my liking. but try getting a 3" muffler to replace it... thats why it has the glasspack...

On the other hand, if you like it loud, a 3" system and a glasspack is the way to go. And alot cheaper than Magnaflow of Flowmaster...

okay. well my pipes are 2.5 ill look into a cherrybomb later thanks fellas

I have headers, 2 1/4 inch pipes with 8 inch cherry bomb glasspacks on my '78. Its loud but doesnt crackle bad or anything, sounds pretty good.

If you like them on the quieter side, I'd run 24 inch glasspks, they really aint that loud at all.

Also is there a reason you've still running cats? Cats clog up and rob horsepower IMO.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Could get the sound your looking for by dropping the cat...
Unless you need it.
Keep the GP the same size as your exhaust pipe..
Shorter is louder....

Once GP's break in they all cackle, just in varying degree's and loudness... they also vary where in the rpm's they cackle. I could make mine cackle if i wanted to but it wasn't to often i did it...

Could get the sound your looking for by dropping the cat...
Unless you need it.
Keep the GP the same size as your exhaust pipe..
Shorter is louder....

Once GP's break in they all cackle, just in varying degree's and loudness... they also vary where in the rpm's they cackle. I could make mine cackle if i wanted to but it wasn't to often i did it...

same here, mine doesnt crackle unless i try to make it do it.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
i just have the cats on to look legit i guess. the rear cat is actually gutted and the front i dont know if i should even gut it. i was actually thinking about it i heard with the cat insulated i like the gutted sound. sounds beastly

if i was you, I'd take both the cats off and use the magnaflow if you want and if youre not satisfied, u could get glasspks.

For good performance and sound, cats just arent the best IMO. A cat does nothing more in the performance point of view than put more resistance in your exhaust system and muffle the sound and make your exhaust smell like rotten eggs while doing so lol.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
To recap...Ryan is right about the direction...I've never been fond of reversing the gp's because it sounds pretty crappy...sure it's louder, but it's not as smooth. The shorter the gp the louder it is going to be. The bigger the diameter of the gp, the louder it is going to be. The shorter the exhaust system is overall (routed out the back vs. behind the rear tire vs. before the tires vs. dumped underneath). With a single exhaust, 3" pipe will be just fine. As for the cat, it's my opinion that it's there for a reason...your rig is more than likely tuned to run with one, so I'd keep it on there or opt for a high flow unit.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
IMO they sound good both ways to me. That being said my cherrybombs are the way Ryan said. They sound great. I think they are 20 or 25 inches long I believe with 2" pipes. They crackle when you downshift which I enjoy...people with car alarms not so much :rofl2:

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
damn so many suggestions.... lol ima have my buddy do the welding tomorrow morning (i hope) i think ima try all the way out the rear tire forward direction 2.5 pipe 26 inch gp and i dont think ill touch the front cat unless i upgrade it with a high flow

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I'm really not sure how loud you want it, but IMO, a 26" gp with exhaust all the way out the back will be pretty quiet. For reference, Red has 18" gp's, with true dual 2.5" pipes and the exhaust is routed behind the tires, and I can still have a normal conversation in the cab. Although, it can set off car alarms fairly easily.

^^^I'm really not sure how loud you want it, but IMO, a 26" gp with exhaust all the way out the back will be pretty quiet. For reference, Red has 18" gp's, with true dual 2.5" pipes and the exhaust is routed behind the tires, and I can still have a normal conversation in the cab. Although, it can set off car alarms fairly easily.

He's right, it will be pretty quiet. My Cutlass has 24 in glasspks all the way out the back and going down the highway, I cant really hear it in the inside of the car. Does it sound good outside the car? yes, but its not nothing extremely loud.

On the other hand, my 78 f250 with headers and 8 in glasspks running in front of rear tires.....its loud

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
okay i might look for a shorter glasspack but im not looking for the ill blow you ****ing doors off sound but the yeah i got a 351

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I really think an 18" gp with a 3" dia will be what you're looking for.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
3" if you are doing a single exhaust. Duals I would stay in the 2.25" diameter personally.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
3" if you are doing a single exhaust. Duals I would stay in the 2.25" diameter personally.

Agreed...I think a 3" exhaust pipe with a 3-3.5" gp is where it's at. If for some reason duals come into play 2.25-2.5" pipe is what I'd go with.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts