Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

getting first ford truck today

no. no tick, no green arrows in dash, no blinkers, no brakes. if it is the turn signal switch ill prolly try the salvage yard here first. i have a 78 so i do need a 78 or 79, have to have no tilt wheel and it has to be manual for it to work correct?? i found a lil plastic one online for 14 bucks...it had no wires and only said 78 without tilt. nothing bout tranny....

new update for you guys that know more bout this than me. i replaced all bulbs just for the heck of it, and plugged the brake light switch back in cuz it was hanging unplugged. still no brake lights. the taillights work and the blinkers work when the lever if maually flipped back and worth. BUT both left and right blinkers flick at the same time in the rear when manually operating them. and the bulbs works backwards i think as in the taillight is the bright filament and the blinker is the dimmer one. does this still sound like a turn signal switch? thanks for any help edit on blinkers working when manually flipped: i had my girlfriend do it again and i wouldnt call then workin maybe just kinda dimming back and forth and all a little. and also i didnt mention the front. nothing at all with blinkers works up front, the the parking lights up front.

Last edited:
Yeah it could still be the switch. When mine stopped working it would come on one side but not blink and not at all on the other. But maybe your flasher is bad too. Those cheap to replace. Try that first.

a good friend stopped by today to look at the truck. i will be going to his house this weekend since he has a shop with bout everything. ill prolly do a lil welding on the bed sides just to make them a lil better than they are now and more stable while he does some electrical. he's very good with anything on a vehicle from body work and painting to motors. but he's very good at electrical.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Good luck. I hope you find the problem. If the engine just begins to start when you release the switch, it could be the switch itself. It sounds like you have more problems than that though.

ok well worked on the truck for like 10 damn hours today. started on the bed. took everything off the sides like the brackets and tailgate rods. then welded a piece of tubing across the bottom and 2 vertically up the sides. bed is much much sturdier and actually square now. cant wiggle the sides of the bed off now ha. then made a custom tailgate but lifts up and out instead of folding down, just for hauling and keeping things in the bed, will be off all winter for coonhuntin. then came the wiring.....boy oh boy...to make a long story short somebody had installed a trailerbrake box which was working still. but that was the culprit. the wiring where they installed it and tapped into other wires was so jacked up. i went ahead and replaced the brakeswitch. so after many things going crazy like brake lights working then not, and left turn signal working but then the right one blinking every parking light on the truck, we've got bout everything except i believe there are a couple poor grounds still. one brake light and taillight are somewhat dim sometimes, and the right brake light will work then not work. so should get everything tom.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Good ol truck you have there. Ya, bad grounding usually accounts for most of the lighting issues on these trucks.

the grounds were the easy part. it must have been a blind shade tree wiring in that brake box

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts