Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gauge Installed (56K warning)

Michigan
Well almost, i just have to wait for the paint to dry and drill some holes and it should be pretty well wrapped up.

Ok i went with the Autometer Z series trans temp guage, and autometer pod. People have asked me what wire i used off the back of the light switch to make my guage lights come on with the running lights, main lights, and dim with the guage lights. Well i couldnt give them an answer because i installed guages on a superduty, and not our style trucks. Well i have an answer now.

Also a question was brought up on where i got my 12V from.

First thing u gotta do is tear into the dash, The A pillar has to come off, the lower plastic piece (under the black one) The main guage surround (black) and the kick panel. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE SILVER INLAYS OUT TO GET TO THOSE BOLTS!!! As well as the light switch knob and any clips for the rear window (in my case) or dual tanks, and the 4x4 switch if used..

After all that is off you need to take the two bolts holding the light switch in, and pull it out as far as you can. Then find a good ground for your test light and with the light switch off, probe around the pins so you can rule out the ones that make it light up with the light switch off, (If you hook your guage to this you'll your guage lighted up all the time.

Well after you find the wire that doesnt have power with the switch off, you pull the switch out to running lights, and the test light should light, then the head lights and it should still stay lit, then turn the knob and the test light should dim along with the dash lights. This will be your wire to 3 way connect the white wire coming from the light bulb in the back of the guage. ( I found the wire to use was the White with a blue stripe wire.) If you was to do it i would check to make sure anyways with a test light.

As for my grounds, i took the ground wire for the light, and the ground wire for the guage, and crimped those together (3 way connection) Then used one wire to a ground location on my kick panel. Painless.

Now for the Ignition wire, for 12 volt. I went to the dash fuse panel, and with my test light probed around to find one that was not lit up while my truck was on Accessories, and then held the test light on the top of the fuse, turned the key to Run position and it lit up. The reason i did this is because i dont want power to the guage while im sitting in the parking lot listening to the radio (if needed). So i just took the fuse out and placed the wire to one of the prongs and shoved it back in. (It was Fuse Number 7 (15 AMP)

For the sender wire, its just one wire going to a fitting supplied by autometer that you use an O style wire connector, and run it through the firewall. Simple as that.

Well lunch is over, and im sure the pod is dry now, im going to go install it the rest of the way and take some pics. For now here are some pictures that ive taken.

Picture144.jpg

Picture145.jpg

Picture146.jpg

Picture147.jpg

Picture148.jpg

Picture149.jpg

Picture150.jpg

Picture151.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Michigan
Ok its installed. IM a little pissed about how the pod fit. They should have made it rap around to the door seal like the one on my dads powerstroke, but instead they left an edge there... Kinda upset about it but o well it turned out good. Here are some pics of it all finished up.

Il be taking a vacation this weekend and im pulling out snowmobile trailer with the fourwheeler on it, and a bunch of crap and il get you all trans temp readings. Its about a 3 and a half hour drive one way.

Picture153.jpg

Picture154.jpg

Picture155.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Kinda a dumb question...but I don't have much experience with autos-

What temp makes you start to worry? What temp makes you pull over and shut 'er down?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Around 200* you should start keeping a real close eye on her and goin' a bit easy. Once you get near 220* is when you really need to start pulling back if not stopping and letting her rest for a while. Here's a good diagram:

article_21_8._Trans_Life_Chart_from_HECAT_Inc..jpg

Of course it varies from 1 transmission to another but that gives you a rough idea.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks.

Now all I got to remember is transmissions like to be a little cooler than engines and I'll be all set. :)

Michigan
Looks good Cept the paint don't match
Dammit! I thought i would get away with it. Thanks everyone for the complements except skank! LOL jk man. Yea the paint is JUST a tad off, not to much to worry bout. Im just pissed about how that pod fits, i have to put my head by the windshield just to read the right danged numbers.... :headbang: I think im gonna go get a used A pillar and try something different when i go get my E fan.

Other than that its all good, I havent drove it more than 5 miles so this weekend will be the real test.

And blue goose... Can i PLEASE go on vacation???? smilietease

Michigan
lmao O i will dont worry bout that! Its gonna take me bout 3 days online to post em all lol. Speaking of which, I finally took that chrome trim off. Not sure if ppl have seen but it looks totally different.

BEFORE

Picture051.jpg

After

Picture139.jpg

Picture138.jpg

Picture141.jpg

speaking of paint....
still trying to get some time to install my 3-pod on the pillar. do i leave it black or try to find paint that's "close". i thought it looked fine black (interior is blue)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My vote is leave it black...I think it'll be real tough to match that blue perfectly, and a different shade of blue would look worse than black.

Michigan
Yea leave it black. I coulda found the interior paint that was EXACTLY what i needed but that was quite a drive from where i was, and i was lazy and got the paint from autozone.... Bla.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Looks great Bronk , Skank always has something to say about others things, I would rather have that color a shade off than drill into the top of my dash , A-pillars are easier to replace than the dash.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts