Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

gaskets

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I myself like rubber gaskets as you don't need to apply RTV and it makes it a little less messy. However, the cork seem to outlast the rubber.

Have used both. Rubber is usually easier to come off as one piece next time you replace em (IMO)...and I think the seal is better.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I like rubber for ease of use, but I still like cork better...seems to remain a gasket longer, if that makes sense.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I like rubber gaskets more myself. I've used both with good results though. I like rubber because there is no rtv to clean up and even if I have to change one out a bit quicker than a cork one the time savings is better for me instead of scraping rtv off. I think it is more of a personal preference in some applications. My oilpan gasket is rubber. It cost $40 but was a heck of a lot better than the 4 piece cork gasket. For your valve covers I think you could pick either with good results.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but what about cork with compressions stops? The other day I drove to haul trash to the dump and when I got out there was smoke coming from my wheel well and from the front of the grill. I opened the hood and could see oil dripping right from under the valve cover onto the header. So I'll be replacing them soon, just curious. I have cork without compression stops now.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Do they have those? I've seen the rubber with them, but I don't remember getting a cork gasket like that.

Fellro

Staff member
I personally despise cork, had too many fail too easily. I haven't ponied up on the Permaseal Felpros yet, but have seriously considered them.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i like both... cork does just fine for me on the small block fords... but the engines like the Nissan 3.0's and chevy 3.1's and 3.8's i'd use rubber.. they have a odd mating surface... the rubber would seal better simply cause cork cant make those types of shapes... thats why all kits for those come with rubber gaskets...

but kits for these fords come with cork valve cover gaskets...

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I'll go against the grain here, I say cork. They're way stiffer than rubber. I've fought the rubber ones on numerous, frustrating, occations. Unless you use alignment studs inmost of the valve cover bolt holes it's a MAJOR PITA to keep the rubber gaskets where they're supposed to be.

Us oldtimers always soaked cork gaskets in warm water for about an hour before installing them

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

Ford Truck Articles