Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gas Tank Cleaning/Removal

Hello all, haven't been on in a LONG time, been really busy finding work/school all the other lovelies. But anyhow, my truck has turned into super everyday driver, so restore plans have kinda dropped on hold for awhile. But my back tank is pretty much not usable it will be fine till about a 1/4 tank under then it picks up soot and truck cuts out all the lovely good stuff. Any how, so I am just using my front, but I would like to be able to have the back operable in order to keep a 1/4 in it for emergencies. So I know I am sure that I need to take off the bed to get the back tank out, which isnt too big of a deal for me, but how hard is it to take off the back tank? Can I still drive the truck if I remove the back tank or is that not such a good idea? And what should I do to clean it, any special additives to soak it in? Soap/Water? What works?

Thanks guys and I'll try to get on her more often

-Brent

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was always under the impression that 79's just had straps and a couple bolts on the rear tank. I may be wrong...I've never had a dual tank set up. Again...never had a dual tank dent...but aren't you going to have to worry about blocking off that cross flow tube between tanks? Block that off, and I'd assume you'd be fine. As for cleaning...I usually have a shop clean mine (under $80) so if something goes wrong...it's their fault. But I've heard of guys using paint thinner initially...thoroughly rinse it out. Then throwing some gravel and chain in there to get the rest of the rust out of there. Then rinse again.

yeah i have heard of the paint thinner/rocks chain method, and also a soap/water style method but dunno about that. Yeah I am not really sure about how it is hooked up, I didnt give it too much of a look nor havent. Was hoping someone would have something for me :)

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
yeah i have heard of the paint thinner/rocks chain method, and also a soap/water style method but dunno about that. Yeah I am not really sure about how it is hooked up, I didnt give it too much of a look nor havent. Was hoping someone would have something for me :)

I just finished painting mine and will be redoing the inside again. I used about a gallon of paint thinner it does help to remove varnish the chain helps get the rust out along with it. Check my tread Roadworthy.

The rear tanks are easy to take down they are held in with 2 straps and 2 bolts and nuts. I would use pb blaster before breaking them loose. disconnect the hoses from the filler neck before removing the tank. BTW there is a locking ring that you will need to remove from the sending unit to get it out after removing the tank so be prepared to go to the Ford dealer to get a new float,about $10.00

After you disconnect the lines, the tank will siphon itself out, if you
give it a chance to. After it's empty, it's a cinch to take out, light
weight and all that. :) After you get it out, you can look inside of it
and then decide what needs to be done.

New replacement even? :/

Only reason I know anything about it is I just got done removing the
rear tank on my parts truck. If you were close by you could have it,
but if you were close by, you wouldn't need it. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok

Alvin in AZ

I plan to get a new one later myself after I have it on the road

Alvin in AZ

This is a CALI truck :) but it sat for three years (5 years ago) the front take was okay, the back tank seemed to be okay then it picked up a crap load of junk one time cause I rarely used it and caused the whole sputter die need new fuel filter crap. So I have stayed away from using it. Hopefully i dont need to get a replacement as I have to pay for a tranny to be rebuilt on my other car so eh who knows

The only thing I have to add.Is I'm not sure if u want to paint the exterior or not.Don't know about CA weather,But here in New England I don't like to paint them,because they can't "sweat" condensation in the humidity we have up here.Which makes em rust from the inside out AND can mess with fuel quality.While ur at it u might want to go with a new filler/vent hoses and send unit pickup sock

I think I am just going to buy a new tank, I got a nice bonus so it's not a big deal. lol thats easier than having to clean it and deal with rust and all that stuff.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think I am just going to buy a new tank, I got a nice bonus so it's not a big deal. lol thats easier than having to clean it and deal with rust and all that stuff.

That's the route I usually go too. If I want a tank cleaned...I usually have somebody do it, so there is someone to blame if something goes wrong. Then once I realize the price of the cleaning is about the cost of buying new...I just opt for the new one.

good choice. i bought one a few months ago form my 93. i think i got it for ~$125. getting it out wasn't horrible, just a little tricky to get the fuel lines off the pump b/c of tight clearance issues. it was a lot easier with another guy under there to hold the tank while i messed with the lines.

also, as someone who was told this, ignored it, and now regret it - replace the pump/sending unit while it's out. yes, it doubles the price of the project, but my pump went out a month or two after i got the new tank in. now i just use the front one b/c i don't want to drop the tank again. so much for fixing my back tank

"takes me longer when I get in a hurry :/" -Alvin

A supervisor at work that didn't believe it, had it come home and roost
on his head one day. ...made a believer out of 'im! ;)

"we won't have to wait on the trains if we move this wire from here
to here"
"I agree -if- the case was wired exactly like the plans are, but you
can't count on that, you'd have to check the wiring first and by the
time we get done doing that the trains will be by :)" -Alvin "might as
well get busy doing something else (here) while we wait"
Yeah but. ;)
-His part- would be done quicker if we did that part -right now- he
could leave and go do who knows what. :/ Just get out of the sun?

So he did it anyway.
The gate came down on top of a propane truck's cab after the whole
"consist" of 4 engines had cleared the crossing. The signal gang
members were wanting to hang the "really smart" supervisor right then
and there. They heard me warn 'im.

I just looked at 'im and said quiet like...
"it takes me longer when I get in a hurry ;)"

Fixing mistakes takes time and is just a source of irritation.

See? He wasn't a real signal "wireman" so he didn't realize how many
changes had been made that weren't written down and how many
mistakes the plans had in them to start with, straightening out that
mess was the wireman's job. He stop raggin' on me about how long
wiring took after that day. LOL :)

Alvin in AZ (retired RR signal ape)

That's a good lesson learned, that my grandpa/dad have taught me and have had a couple of nice lessons thankfully nothing majorly bad has happened so I just try and make sure and do everything right, I will buy a new tank and new sending unit. I am tired of taking things out and having to redo them again IE my transmission in my suv, gonna have to do it right the second time w0000

good choice. i bought one a few months ago form my 93. i think i got it for ~$125. getting it out wasn't horrible, just a little tricky to get the fuel lines off the pump b/c of tight clearance issues. it was a lot easier with another guy under there to hold the tank while i messed with the lines.

also, as someone who was told this, ignored it, and now regret it - replace the pump/sending unit while it's out. yes, it doubles the price of the project, but my pump went out a month or two after i got the new tank in. now i just use the front one b/c i don't want to drop the tank again. so much for fixing my back tank

On our trks 73-9 the pumps on the motor.As for the sending unit.It'd just a pickup.I'd just chg the sock/filter and save the $75.00

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts