Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gas Mileage

Backwoods

Figmentoftheimagination
Maybe this is a mute point, but I am going to try anyhow, I have a 79 F150 4wd, with a 400 4 speed, and am getting 9 mgp out of it, is this normal, or is there any tips or tricks to better gas mileage, and if I am stuck with 9 mpg, I might put in a 460 to have more power, I figure, it would probably do 9 anyhow.???

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
9-12 is normal for these trucks. Depends on the tires and how hard they are driven. I could get about 11 with mine on the highway to as low as 6 when pulling a heavy load.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
With after market intake holley carb ,cleaned up heads and headers I could get 12 MPG .

Never broke 10 on a pre 90s 460

Backwoods

Figmentoftheimagination
There must be some alternative to be able to get mileage out of one of these, how about installing a holley throttle body with a msd ignition, whatdya think?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I think it's still a heavy brick, that cuts through the wind like a barn door.............:wavey:

Seriously though, I couldn't tell you what my 79 gets for mileage.[confused] I've never checked it. All I know is that it's a blast to drive!smiliepeelout

Backwoods

Figmentoftheimagination
I think it's still a heavy brick, that cuts through the wind like a barn door.............:wavey:

Seriously though, I couldn't tell you what my 79 gets for mileage.[confused] I've never checked it. All I know is that it's a blast to drive!smiliepeelout
Yes indeed, they are a blast.

Taking into consideration for the type of driving you've been doing in your '79,
I'd say it would probably be easier to calculate in Gallons Per Hour
:cooldude:

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Taking into consideration for the type of driving you've been doing in your '79,
I'd say it would probably be easier to calculate in Gallons Per Hour
:cooldude:

I'll take that as a compliment! Thanks Mark!!!!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
10 with my 302

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
since i rebuilt the motor in my 77 (with 38s) it gets better mileage than my 99 f150.........

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts