Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gas guage

Having some problems with my gas guage. It will read when there is gas in the tank but, when it gets low it just bounces back and forth. Doesn't tell me anything other than when it's almost out. So I have to carry a can with a few gallons in it incase I run out.

I'm hoping this is common and you guys can tell me what to fix or replace with out picking and choosing each part of the system. I'm thinking it's the sending unit but not sure. I figure if I get any reading at all the unit is working.

Let me know.

I'll try the ground first but looks like it may be the sender. The tank straps are metal and touch the tank. That should ground it fine but maybe not.

Plus mine is always pegged. Unless i'm close to empty. It doesn't bounce untill it's near empty. Otherwise it stays pegged.

I'll try the ground first but looks like it may be the sender. The tank straps are metal and touch the tank. That should ground it fine but maybe not.
my straps have a bunch of RTV between them and the tank
Plus mine is always pegged. Unless i'm close to empty. It doesn't bounce untill it's near empty. Otherwise it stays pegged.
mine varies full-up to fill-up. sometimes it's pegged all the time, other times it starts getting accurate around 1/2 tank.

Ford Truck Articles