Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Funny Wiring Issues

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
So I'm almost done wiring my truck. I recently put the box on and figured I'd spend a couple hours wiring up my tail lights and side markers. I had the drivers side wired up so I figured I'd test it. Pulled the headlight switch and NOTHING. Figured it was a ground so I scratched some more paint off where the grounding screw goes and tried again.....NOTHING. Scratched some more paint off to try and get a good ground........NOTHING. Hell with it. Ran a ground wire to a bolt I had in the frame and VIOLA......I had lights or light. OK, now for the brake light..yep it worked, but no turn signal. By now I was tired so I called it a night. This evening, figured I'd get the passenger side wired up and see what happens. I had lights, hazards, brake lights and the side markers worked, BUT when I flipped the turn signals, the opposite side lite up. Messed around with the wiring some more and ended up running temporary wires to switch the drivers and passenger side turn signal wires to see if that works and what do you know....It worked. So, now I figured the confusion had to do with the steering column connector. I bought my wiring harness new from Centech Wiring and the steering column connector was all made up for me so I never had to mess with it. I figured I needed to switch the two wires around in that connector, but wondered how the hell to do that. Luckily I had old wiring harness I was salvaging so I figured out how to do it. Well, long story short, the problem came from someone else's wiring and not mine. So, as of right now everything works, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

yeah uncle buck :)

I had that fun type of issue when I put the new tail lights and bed on my truck.

Mine ended up being a faulty relay and bad ground. Glad you got it figured out though. Wiring is a PITA

NOCO77

Somethin' Like That
Buck, with all of the resto work you've done (POR, paint, powdercoat, etc.) you simply lost your ground between the box and frame, which you corrected with your jumper. A good braided ground strap, much like between the cab and engine block/frame would do the trick too!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts