Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Vapor Canister

Need to replace to Fuel Vapor Canister/Charcoal Canister on my 79' Bronco, anyone have an idea of a good part number or alternate part for these things? Every part number I've tried (Standard is CP2001, Motorcraft is CX-1118) has come up as discontinued.

Fellro

Staff member
If a federal emissions unit will suffice, I can probably come up with a used one.

Thanks for the offers, I do have a couple of canisters out of the junkyard but not sure how good they are. Since this will be the first time I'm going to get the truck smoged for license in California, I want to have a fighting chance. I will see if the smog shop can do a courtesy inspection first so I know where I stand and what adjustments I have to make first.

Fellro

Staff member
The good part is that typically the canisters hold up pretty good, as long as they didn't get regularly overfilled...

cimg1123.jpg

I have read through this forum and various post concerning emissions and it's been a wealth of information but I still have some questions that I couldn't find answers for concerning emissions crap. Since the previous owner removed everything emissions and trashed it all I've been picking everything I can find out of the junkyard to get me started down the road to reinstalling everything. Picture is my emissions sticker that I have a couple of questions about.

1. It looks like I should have two charcoal canisters and not the normal of one that I've seen, can anyone confirm this? Factory manual only shows one from what I've read and seen.

2. Dashed lines on emissions sticker, I'm thinking that these items were "optional"? I'm I correct on this or off in left field?

3. What is A and B pointing out other than a connection?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
If it is California emissions, I am not sure. Federal is a bit different. They may have done a double. The purge valve connects and controls the vapor flow from the canister to the intake/carb. I think I actually have seen tandem setups, but it has been a while, and was from the time that it wasn't a concern...

I have a few illustrations of Calif emissions but you never mentioned which Engine
I also have emissions parts used and their numbers.

Usually the dotted lines are for Calif trucks.

Waiting for requests of illustrations.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Why not just offer the illustration Dennis, with instructions on what he needs to tell you?

Last edited:
Mil1ion - I have the 351M and I'll take your offer of the illustrations. Fatherdog, I called Summit and the one they have has been discontinued it's made by Standard, I finally found one through NAPA and it was the last one they had.

Ford Truck Articles