Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel tank issue...

Hello! I have a 89 f150 xlt lariat with the 6cyl. and it has dual gas tanks.. When i got the truck i was told the front tank leaks and only use the rear tank. Now for some reason the rear tank is filling up the front tank.. anyone have any ideas what would cause this? Can the front tank be removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Each fuel tank has its own dual pressure resevoir and and each tank has its own low pressue fuel pump in the tank but there is also the high pressure pump on the frame. there are no lines that go directly between the two tanks.

Is the problem when fueling or while driving?

I suppose if the the return diaphram in the pressure resevoirs has broken down you could have transfer while driving.

as for while fueling, the only way to transfer i can think of would be through the pressure resevoirs too ..but not without pressure unless your running your fuel pumps while fueling...or if the tank is full and you have a very well collared pump sheild that creates enough pressure to over pressurize the tank and cause fuel transfer..but logic would say you would have a puddle at your feet way before that.

Someone will come along with other thoughts

I believe it has been while driving... I picked it up from Somerset Ky and it oddly took about 55 bucks in gas to get back here in Oh. Then a couple days later i put another 7 or so gallons and drove it about 40 miles and used half of a full tank. Then noticed gas leaking... I switched tanks and sure enough front is over full... and the leak is coming from above the front tank. 19 gallons of gas i cant reuse.. :(

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I agree with Scott. I'm assuming you're talking about driving on the rear tank...It's a common problem. Heck my truck even has that very issue.....It's easier (to me anyways) to pull the bed off for access tot he tanks but, since you need a new one or need to pull the front to patch it, I'd go ahead and rop it.. Yes, you can drop the tank.

Is there a way to remove front tank all together so it is only a single tank? Or do you guys think replacing reservoirs is the best way to go... Having a hard time money wise and cheapest route is what i need for now..

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I think the money thing is somewhat unanimous around here (the forum). Depending on the leak, you might be able to just seal it up. If not, then i know people have eliminated the front tank, just not sure what it entails to do so.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Seems the front tank is usually the problem. Mine was taken off before I bought it. You can get a new tank for around $150.00 through some of our Sponsors. I would also do a search here for the same problem.

Fellro

Staff member
You can take the tank off, just hook the lines straight together. The problem is the switching valve on the frame. When each pump turns on, it is supposed to switch the valve over, but sometimes it doesn't go all the way, or possibly even fails, so the fuel gets routed to the wrong tank sometimes.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Some PN11 epoxy ought to patch your leak. Make sure all the fuel is off with brake cleaner and it will adhere well. I used that stuff to patch the hole in the transfer case of the dodge

Fellro

Staff member
I did a fuel tank on my diesel by polishing the rust off, then used JB weld on it, but heated it with a blow drier to get it to sag into the holes. Of course, I did it kinda the hard way, had the tank removed to do it. I found several holes and patched it to get by. I now have a brand new one that was taken from a junker flood victim truck on hand should it rust through again sometime, but it got undercoated before I put it back on.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I did a fuel tank on my diesel by polishing the rust off, then used JB weld on it, but heated it with a blow drier to get it to sag into the holes. Of course, I did it kinda the hard way, had the tank removed to do it. I found several holes and patched it to get by. I now have a brand new one that was taken from a junker flood victim truck on hand should it rust through again sometime, but it got undercoated before I put it back on.

I'm thinking about getting a new side tank, would it hurt to use truck bed liner on the new tank?

I dont think it is really a leak problem. The front tank has not been used in years so probably full of rust.. And now full of cross-filled gas.. So I dont think using that tank would be a great option. I think i will have to look into getting it removed completly and having only the rear tank. Thanks for all the help you guys are awesome. :) Hard to get advice around here other than the forums because no one wants to talk about old trucks for some reason.. Probably cause one fix makes another problem..haha..

Fellro

Staff member
I don't see a problem with coating the outside at all. Just be sure to cover the sender hole area.

Ford Truck Articles