Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Quality - how to determine if its good?

Title pretty much says it all.

How does one determine where to buy diesel fuel?
I usually buy from the cheapest dealer around (Arco).
And when traveling 200+ miles or more, I buy when the tank is between 1/2 and 1/4 full - which means I buy from whatever fuel station is nearby.
What to do?

I too buy my fuel off the street by price with one exception, if the place doesn't have the look of a place that would take care of their fuel quality reputation.

Other than that, I change fuel filters every 15,000 miles and add Powerservice fuel treatment w/cetane boost every tank. 76,xxx miles and so far, so good.

I look for price and fuel turn over, like truck stops or Station that get a lot of truck Business. And I also use Powerservice fuel treatment.

So then. . .
When I read "quality fuel" it basically means to use a fuel additive?
I'm already using Opti-Lube Summer Blend.

And I'm not siphoning fuel from rusty old barrels.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
if the place doesn't have the look of a place that would take care of their fuel quality reputation.

smilieIagree That's probably my numer one thing in looking where to buy gas. I know the thread is about diesel, but this suggestion can apply to both. When I had to buy diesel if I was moving a friend's truck or backhoe I usually looked for a nice looking place and a place I could manuveur around in easily. We have a lot of places to choose from here, but in other states I've been almost empty and have driven past places that looked too sketchy to even have quality gas or diesel.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts