Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel pump not shutting off at cold start

I have a 2003 F250 6.0. When I turn the ignition on not trying to crank the truck, the fuel pump continues to run instead of its normal on for about 3 secs and then off. I have noticed that once the truck has warmed up it works fine. Any ideas?

I was assuming it was the fuel pump. Whatever it is, it is not correct. Last night when I was starting my truck for the first time that day, it ran for probably 8+ secs, and only stopped because I turned the key to start the engine. Then the truck ran awful and poured smoke, it had too much fuel, so that is why I assumed fuel pump. This engine has never given my any issues other than I had to change the IPC sensor about 2000 miles ago. 100800 miles

blacksnapon

Staff member
Where's the noise coming from? The vacuum pump is on the rf fender. You might have 2 separate issues.

yes it is coming from the rf fender

What is confusing is that the length of time that it runs while the engine is cold is much longer than if the engine is warm. As in the case this weekend, it ran a long time until, I started the engine. This may sound crazy, would a issue with the vac system cause the engine to run rough at a cold start? I mean Ive got a 30 year old tractor on the farm that sounded better than this thing last night! But after the engine warmed up it was fine and has been all day.

blacksnapon

Staff member
What is confusing is that the length of time that it runs while the engine is cold is much longer than if the engine is warm. As in the case this weekend, it ran a long time until, I started the engine. This may sound crazy, would a issue with the vac system cause the engine to run rough at a cold start? I mean Ive got a 30 year old tractor on the farm that sounded better than this thing last night! But after the engine warmed up it was fine and has been all day.
Stiction has been a well known problem in the 6.0. The inductive heating flash will many times completely repair poor running issues when cold. You might give it a try.

Stiction has been a well known problem in the 6.0. The inductive heating flash will many times completely repair poor running issues when cold. You might give it a try.

I am showing my lack of mechanic talk. Please explain. Thanks

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the internals of the injector can stick due to the film that is created from oil over a period of time. using incorrect oil and filters can cause the issue prematurely. the inductive heating cause the injectors to warm up by cycling the spool valve in a way that will cause the film to change viscosity and let the injector run like it would normally.

now you could be have a fuel injection control module failure as well, either way a trip to the dealer is needed as we are the only ones with the software for programming.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts