Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel issue Draining back to the tank

I don't remember, but is it common for fuel to drain back to the fuel tank even if the truck sits for 2 days

The truck has new carb, new fuel pump. I have looked at fuel lines but never found any signs of leaks.

i do park on a slope, but with the rake of the truck it sits level.

Are you having an issue of it not starting right away when you turn it over the first time? The carb should retain fuel in the bowl, enough to run the engine for a few seconds to let the pump catch up. Try pressing the pedal down once or twice to pump the accelerator pump before trying to start. If that doesn't help, then you may be leaking fuel from the carb somewhere.

Are you having an issue of it not starting right away when you turn it over the first time? The carb should retain fuel in the bowl, enough to run the engine for a few seconds to let the pump catch up. Try pressing the pedal down once or twice to pump the accelerator pump before trying to start. If that doesn't help, then you may be leaking fuel from the carb somewhere.

At the moment, i cant get it started. i took the top of the carb off and 1 bowl has fuel and one is dry, and and the fuel filter is dry to.
I thought i had this problem fixed last year, its a real pain to have start the truck every day to keep the fuel prime.

It'd be cool to fix whatever's siphoning the fuel outta your carburetor. :)
But that's only half the job, IMO.

The tank gets cool and sucks the fuel back? <shrug>

---------------------

bendix6volt.jpg

^ That round thing hanging there is an old 6 volt Bendix fuel pump. :)

I fill the 2100's fuel bowl before I try to start the Old Clunker's 360FE. :)

My 360FE with the original 2100 carburetor on it, starts quicker than the
'91 Bronco 351w and yep, it too runs perfect.

Coasting out of the driveway I like to bump start the '75 in 3rd gear, just
takes one little nudge.

Believe it? :)

It's cool, that 6volt Bendix came on an old 6volt dune buggy in ~'83 and
the fuel pump was -old- then. :) Installed it in the position shown by '84.

I removed the window-washer-tank & pump from my '75 F150 in early '75.
I don't believe in those things. ;) YMMV?

Anyway, so the pump circuit's wire was hanging there and I hooked the
Bendix fuel pump to it. It's a momentary-on-switch and it's on the dash,
it was perfect. LOL:) Been working great for ~30 years now.

Choke? We dohn need no steenkeen choke...
choke1.jpg

...neither! :)

Alvin in AZ

Well got it started, but while it was running the fuel filter only was holding about a .25 inch worth of fuel. and it was a real slow trickle coming from the pump and holding the throttle open i saw no increase or decrease in the amount of fuel in the filter. I really need a fuel pressure gauge.

Side note, when no gas is handy or starting fluid or even carb cleaner spray.
wasp and hornet spray and roach spray works in a pinch.

Well got it started, but while it was running the fuel filter only was holding
about a .25 inch worth of fuel. and it was a real slow trickle coming from
the pump and holding the throttle open i saw no increase or decrease in
the amount of fuel in the filter.

I really need a fuel pressure gauge.
x2! ...on the pressure gauge if you've got any fuel injected vehicles. :)

But, only certain filters, at certain times, fill all the way up, IME.

You see that all the time with clear filters on dune buggies, motorcycles
and small work-engines etc. It don't mean nuthin'. :)

Alvin in AZ

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Yes This is a common issue with these rigs..I also had a stint of it after assembly of my 79...Basically fuel is drawn by the vacum of the pump..Now you say mechanical componants are new and no VISIBAL signs of leaks...ok that doesnt mean there may not be a restriction inside the line or air coming into the system by means of worn hose or line deterioration or evan as simple as a loose clamp...once i retraced all my steps back to the tank..retightened replaced all hoses everything..no more issue...Just today after maybe 10 revolutions my truck fired right up after sitting dormant since thanksgiving day last yr...

Yes This is a common issue with these rigs..I also had a stint of it after assembly of my 79...Basically fuel is drawn by the vacum of the pump..Now you say mechanical componants are new and no VISIBAL signs of leaks...ok that doesnt mean there may not be a restriction inside the line or air coming into the system by means of worn hose or line deterioration or evan as simple as a loose clamp...once i retraced all my steps back to the tank..retightened replaced all hoses everything..no more issue...Just today after maybe 10 revolutions my truck fired right up after sitting dormant since thanksgiving day last yr...

Okay thanks for the info, i will trace out everything and just replace the hoses, then do a vacuum test on my lines between the tank and fuel pump.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
And to add to what Buzz said, since you have two tanks on the truck, there is a short section of rubber hose behind the midship tank. The only way to get at it is to remove the midship tank. :headbang:

since you have two tanks on the truck.

I will look for that hose. I will also have to look in the book to see how the hoses ran originally. :headbang: Somebody stole or aggressively removed the rear tank, and hoses are plugged and re-routed and the straps were heavily damaged that held the tank up.

the saddle tank the hose comes off of the sender unit and goes straight to the fuel pump.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts