Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel filter change

I have a 1990 5.0L 4x4 and need to replace the fuel filter. I have the filter, but need to know how to depressurize the system so I can change it out. Also, I need to know if there is any special tool I need to attempt to track down in order to accomplish this. The filter may have never been changed on this truck; the last owner said he never has. The truck only has 40,000 miles on it, but I know it needs changed and want to accomplish this feat myself. I know where the filter is located, have the new filter, but need information on depressurizing the system and about the special tool required to get the old one off.

(I know someone else has probably already asked this question but no answer came up in my search, and have you seen how many threads there are?)

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 1990 5.0L 4x4 and need to replace the fuel filter. I have the filter, but need to know how to depressurize the system so I can change it out.
Theres an inertia switch either in the right front kick panel, or on the hump, under the dash. Its got a button on the top of it, when you hit it hard enough, the button pops up, and the fuel pump is disabled.
Also, I need to know if there is any special tool I need to attempt to track down in order to accomplish this.
I can't remember if its got plastic clips holding it on, or if its got spring lock clips. The spring lock clips need the tool, the plastic ones don't.

Ok

Ok... I will try mayb friday... Thursday if I can. Never had a vehicle worth working on until this one and my father was useless in learning me how to do anything so.... I am having to learn everything on my own.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
If it does indeed have the spring locks on it...you're gonna want the ac/fuel filter tools....it's a whole kit made up of a bunch of different colored plastic ring lookin things...the metal scissor tool does work, but not as well.
9094121_lg.jpg

Hmmm

If it does ill havta see if the local parts place has the kit... this town is horrible for finding things in....all else fails Ill order it online like I do for most everything else....

Question..

Wouldnt opening that valve send fuel all over my engine? I know my engine bay needs a good cleanin, but... proly not w/ something highly flammable lol

Ya...

Mayb ill jus find a rag lol or a bucket. I will be doing the change at work, and I just happen to work on a boat full of tools n such so...:) every job, no matter how boring, has to have its perks. smilieFordlogo

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I typically de pressurized my system by removing the fuel filter and getting it in my face or mouth. Not my advice, but that's what I did...

The clips are going to be what you're looking for. If it's like my 94 (pretty sure it's the same) you'll need the kit of fuel filter removers which set me back $10.

Ryan

Well...

Ya... not really that thirsty... I believe Ill just depressurize the system lol I will look on the filter and see if those stupid clips are on there, if I need the set I will attempt to find them in this little rinkydink town, if not.... Ill try somewhere online. It is almost impossible to find parts here, I had to drive 40 miles to find lightbulbs for my motorcycle...

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
Here's one way to de-pressurize

Not sure which fuel pump system you have, but if you can get at the electrical plug connection easily, just unplug the fuel pump and start the engine. It may start but won't run long.

That works best for the pumps on the frame. In-tank on a truck is harder to get at. Could also pull the fuse involved. Or use the tool and try to wrap a rag around everything, which only works half the time, then dis-connect. Keep rags and fire-extinguisher handy if you have one, too.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I typically de pressurized my system by removing the fuel filter and getting it in my face or mouth. Not my advice, but that's what I did...

The clips are going to be what you're looking for. If it's like my 94 (pretty sure it's the same) you'll need the kit of fuel filter removers which set me back $10.

Ryan

X2, i never bothered with the fuel shut of switchm just pull the filter and close your eyes!

you think those clips are annoying, just wait till you deal with removing fuel line couplers haha

PITA

This is y I wanted n older truck.... I cannot imagine what a newer vhicle would be like. I just want to change my filter w/o making a huge a$$ mess... or a fuel fire... or damaging my engine...

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Ha try changing mine.....95 shortbed with dual tanks and those clips I showed a picture of...took me every bit of 45 mins just to get the old one unhooked and outta there!

Thx, but no thx

Ummm thx but no thx lol This is why I wanted n older truck lol Ill figure it out... A guy Ill b workin with tommorow is a chief engineer so... mayb he can help lol

Friday

I will not be ablet to try this until at least Friday. I will check tommorow and see if I have those stupid clips that require a special tool to release.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Easiest thing for me was the inertia switch. Also if you need the fancy tool, hit the coupler with some penetrating oil oor wd 40 so it will come apart easier.

I will

Ill do that, I got some WD 40 and will look to see what I can find out about this thing. The tools shuldnt b that much so...and there usefull for other things

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts