Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Front end

Well i have a 1990 ford F-250 with a 460 and 4-wheel drive. On the front end one of the axel shafts has execive inplay to the point i think there may be an internal problem. Im gonna look into rebuilding it but i realized im a bit of a knucle head and am not positive what the front end in those 3/4 tons are. Ive alway though it was a dana 44, so if im wrong please correct me ha ha.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think it is a Dana 50 TTB.

Fellro

Staff member
D50's tended to come with extended cabs on the 250's. Typically 44's... If your hub fills the wheel center, it is a D50. If it doesn't really, then it is a 44. I have two of each, one 50 is in an extended cab diesel, the other is in a standard cab 350diesel. The 44's are under standard cab diesels, (250's) then the 250 gasser is a 44 as well.

D50's tended to come with extended cabs on the 250's. Typically 44's... If your hub fills the wheel center, it is a D50. If it doesn't really, then it is a 44. I have two of each, one 50 is in an extended cab diesel, the other is in a standard cab 350diesel. The 44's are under standard cab diesels, (250's) then the 250 gasser is a 44 as well.

ok have you noticed with either the axel going in to the point you cant put the snap ring on?

Fellro

Staff member
they do have a bit of give generally...

Fellro

Staff member
Seems to me when I last had my D44 apart, I had to push the shaft out to get it to lock on...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
On the big truck, I can move the axle shafts roughly 1/4 '' into the differential.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts