Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

freeze plugs.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
well ive incountered another problem on my ole Flareside. The dam drivers side rear Freeze plug APPEARS to be leaking. its not real bad.

how urgent should this be taken care of? cause if it isnt real urgent ill wait till i have the engine out of the truck in a couple of weeks.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
how urgent should this be taken care of? cause if it isnt real urgent ill wait till i have the engine out of the truck in a couple of weeks.

If it's not leaking bad, I'd probably chance it for a couple weeks...just check that where it's leaking it isn't dripping onto any electronic stuff, and keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse and you don't run out of coolant.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yeah thats what i was thinking. i figured i could baby it.

and Taylor. ill say its getting pulled from my truck. but what the whole "diabolical 351W Swap" is about. i cant say. yall will know soon enough.

Fellro

Staff member
Depends which one and how hard it is to get to. If it is not real bad tog et to, then do it. You don't have to replace the others at the same time, but it would be a good idea to get them done while it is out later.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You can tap it sideways into the block, dont hit it all into the block, then you can use a vise grip and pull it out, then tap in your new 1, i put some silicone around the plug, then pop it in, trying not to dent it, or mis-shape it. If you got the room just change it for now.

Fellro

Staff member
Channel locks work pretty good for rolling it out as well, just gotta get it in without dropping it into the block...I generally have drive one side in which turns it right in the hole, grab it with the channel locks and it pulls out generally pretty well.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok so it is ok to do it while in the block. cause im thinking its gonna be a little longer away then 2 weeks or so before i get the chance for the swap. so i dont wanna go that long with it leaking. and its fairly easy to get to.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
It aint hard I popped one out on the 85 when I put the block heater on it just tap one side light enough it wont fall down into the block but hard enough to get it to spin.

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Money says he bought a 351W and gonna swap it in......:wasntme: smilietease

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts