Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Free Spin Conversion

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Is there something I can do to solve the big gap on either side of 2nd??
As far as exhaling, I don't want loud just to help the truck breath...

Yep- back your foot off of the throttle and it'll shift up sooner. The mistake a lot of folks make with an automatic is thinking the transmission will always shift at the right time. What you're experiencing tells me you're flatlining the throttle instead of "encouraging" the transmission to shift a bit sooner. In other words, back off just a bit right when you want it to shift. Mashing the throttle will actually make this condition worse.

Don't forget to use the OD lockout when running in town. Using it also (correct me if I'm wrong) programs a different shift pattern. And yeah, the transmission is computer controlled too, so all a shift kit does is make it slam into gear harder, creating more stress on the components.

This is all pretty funny in a way. Nick complains about the same things in the Marquis, then wonders why the car doesn't do it when I drive it. Answer- he's used to a manual.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
It did it today coming over donner, slowed down behind a big rig and as I accelerated (not hard mind you, for once) it went from third to second with the throttle no more than half way but third to OD was short and smooth, this was all on one of the mountain's flatter spots, and as I said it shifts WAY different compared to my mom's '00 X... It could be that I'm not used to the auto but to me it just doesn't feel quite right...

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
It did it today coming over donner, slowed down behind a big rig and as I accelerated (not hard mind you, for once) it went from third to second with the throttle no more than half way but third to OD was short and smooth, this was all on one of the mountain's flatter spots, and as I said it shifts WAY different compared to my mom's '00 X... It could be that I'm not used to the auto but to me it just doesn't feel quite right...

Altitude kinda changes things too, none of them for the better. I tend to accelerate like that with just enough throttle to make sure it didn't shift into second (if possible), because there's a huge gap in ratios there. This is why the newer rigs have gone to six-speeds.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
...I tend to accelerate like that with just enough throttle to make sure it didn't shift into second (if possible), because there's a huge gap in ratios there...
I tried, guess I need practice (never thought I'd say that about an auto)

Is there a big step between 1 and 2 as well?

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Yep. If I'm in a hurry, I let the Merc shift into third before I really get on it. Also easier on the transmission. Think of it this way- the fewer times it has to shift, the longer it'll last. It's the actual shifting gears, not the miles, that wears them out.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Yep. If I'm in a hurry, I let the Merc shift into third before I really get on it. Also easier on the transmission. Think of it this way- the fewer times it has to shift, the longer it'll last. It's the actual shifting gears, not the miles, that wears them out.

Exactly, and running in OD in the hills forces the transmission to hunt and unlock the TC repeatedly. OD should be turned off in the mountains.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Exactly, and running in OD in the hills forces the transmission to hunt and unlock the TC repeatedly. OD should be turned off in the mountains.
I've learned that much over the few years I've been driving, it was off even on the down side, I just ended up in a position where it had to go further down to do what it needed to do...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts