Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

four wheel drive upgrade

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
im looking to upgrade my 2wd to a 4wd soon ive got a dana 44 ttb front axle that im about to upgrade to a dana55 and ive also got a np205 tranfer case...my question is how do i find out what size drive shafts do i need and where can i get the...?smiliepeelout

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
i would have but the guy i bought the the transfer case from had already sold the shafts...so what do i do now?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
find a truck in the junkyard or craigslist thats getting parted out that has the same setup and snatch its drive shafts. or have a custom one made. but if you go the used route make sure you replace the u-joints. just for extra measure.

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
well of course ill change the u-joint...but just to make sure i get the right ones how do i make sure they are the right length?

Broncodawg

Bleeds Ford blue blood
Retubing a driveshaft is not a big deal. Shouldn't be any more than $100. Many muffler shops do driveshafts, so don't sweat it and the driveshafts are the last thing you do once the swap is done and you know the lengths you need.
All kinds of info about your project out there, but you have to search truck sites and google for the tech articles. You'll get more responses from folks on forums, if you show that you've done your own research and have developed some good basic knowledge of the project.
Good luck and have fun.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
well of course ill change the u-joint...but just to make sure i get the right ones how do i make sure they are the right length?
I'm no expert but from what I understand you need to get your axle, transfer case, and everything else in and then get your measurements. After that you take your measurements and get custom driveshafts or find some that fit.

anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrongYelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts