Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

found a lifted Gen 87-91 F150 for 2.2 G what do you guys think of a swap ?

conaski me and skan were talking.. he just remembered that my truck doesnt use a speed sensor on the rear axle.. it uses a RABS sensor there...
That's right, the RABS sensor pulls double duty. That doesn't change anything though becasue the 9" doesn't have that sensor.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That's right, the RABS sensor pulls double duty. That doesn't change anything though becasue the 9" doesn't have that sensor.
Right. But my point was that the computer can still get readings for speed cuz it's not using the RABS sensor on the rear diff. He couldn't bypass the RABS sensor and just not use it with the 9"? Lets face it, the RABS on these trucks kinda sucks anyways...

On a related note, I know that Tony rigged up some way of using a 9" on his truck, I remember asking about that vss. Tony what'd you do again?

Right. But my point was that the computer can still get readings for speed cuz it's not using the RABS sensor on the rear diff.
OK.. you're scaring me.. Let's recap. The RABS and Speed sensor in these trucks are the same sensor.. not 2 independant sensors.

The 9" has no RABS/Speed sensor at all, so where exactly would the E4OD tranny get speed input from?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
OK.. you're scaring me.. Let's recap. The RABS and Speed sensor in these trucks are the same sensor.. not 2 independant sensors.

The 9" has no RABS/Speed sensor at all, so where exactly would the E4OD tranny get speed input from?
Yes I know they are 1 sensor! Lol, but only on the 92+ trucks (my body style). In Jurgen's truck (and the one that he's thinking about buying), the sensor on the rear diff is STRICTLY a RABS sensor, it doesn't give any speed input to the computer. Instead he's got a transmission mounted vehicle speed sensor (he can attest to that because I believe he's replaced it before). What I'm proposing is that on a pre-92 truck you could potentially swap to a 9" rear axle and just ELIMINATE the RABS sensor since it's not necessary for the functioning of the computer. Or am I wrong about that?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Yes I know they are 1 sensor! Lol, but only on the 92+ trucks (my body style). In Jurgen's truck (and the one that he's thinking about buying), the sensor on the rear diff is STRICTLY a RABS sensor, it doesn't give any speed input to the computer. Instead he's got a transmission mounted vehicle speed sensor (he can attest to that because I believe he's replaced it before). What I'm proposing is that on a pre-92 truck you could potentially swap to a 9" rear axle and just ELIMINATE the RABS sensor since it's not necessary for the functioning of the computer. Or am I wrong about that?

jepp i dd replace it once.. but i wanna know also is this true what skan said..?

OK.. I see what you're saying. FYI. my truck has a cable operated speedo that comes right off the tranny or transfer case. So yes, you could eliminate/disable the RABS system on one of these older trucks.. and probably not be much if any worse off since the older non computer trannys didn't need speed input.

My point was that Grim was talking about putting his engine and tranny in this truck, and since the 9" doesn't have a sensor the computer would have no speed input so his tranny won't shift properly. He might be able to rig something up but the easiest solution would probably be just to swap in his rear axle.
P.S. Just in case you're wondering the tranny speedo output cannot be used to substitute for the rear axle sensor.. at least not with any retail part or produce I'm aware of.

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ohh ok .. but i have a question.. is that manual transmission a good one? the NP435 and will it bolt on to my 351? is it more easy to do that?

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You're still not getting the point Paul... Jurgen's truck DOES NOT recieve speed input for the computer from the RABS sensor on his rear axle. He has a SEPARATE VSS mounted to his trans which gives speed input to the computer. So he could swap his engine/trans into that truck and be just fine, because his VSS will come over with the transmission. The sensor that is CURRENTLY on Jurgen's rear diff is STRICTLY used for the RABS system, and not for speed measurements by the computer.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
On a related note, I know that Tony rigged up some way of using a 9" on his truck, I remember asking about that vss. Tony what'd you do again?

What I did was only to operate the stock speedometer. I used a speedometer sending unit off a crown vic. It sticks in the tranny just like a cable would. I wired that to the speedometer. It sends the same pulse signal.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
What I did was only to operate the stock speedometer. I used a speedometer sending unit off a crown vic. It sticks in the tranny just like a cable would. I wired that to the speedometer. It sends the same pulse signal.
Ahhh yes I remember now. Brilliant :)

There's still some missing info here. What tranny was this?

As far as I know the E4OD does not have a cable connection for a mechanical speedo, so you cannot conect a Crown Vic speed sensor. If that's the case and you also remove the rear axle sensor where does the computer get the speed signal from?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
There's still some missing info here. What tranny was this?

As far as I know the E4OD does not have a cable connection for a mechanical speedo, so you cannot conect a Crown Vic speed sensor. If that's the case and you also remove the rear axle sensor where does the computer get the speed signal from?

i think your confused my friend... my E4OD has this Sensor
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=33

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Self explanatory, it tells the computer how fast you are going. This allows certain emissions functions to be operated while on the highway. Also effects fuel delivery during deceleration. .

i changed last year. and that connects to the mechanical guage..and has an electrical connector to it..
the RABS is a Rear Anti Lock Brake System.. has nothing to do with speed input or output. once i forgot to hook it up and it drove normall exept the rear antilock brake light with the PArking break light was on..

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
the 4 speed was one hell of a tranny. those will withstand a whole lot more abuse then the m50d 5 speed... being all iron/steel as opposed to aluminum.

i think your confused my friend... my E4OD has this Sensor.. i changed last year. and that connects to the mechanical guage..and has an electrical connector to it...
Well how 'bout that... learned something new. I thought ALL E4OD's were electronic speedo only, but like Skan said the pre '92 versiond had a tranny mounted speed sensor. Guess I should know better, there isn't much on these trucks that didn't get changed along the way... [confused]

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My '97 Ranger has an electronic, transmission-mounted speed sensor, in addition to the ABS sensor on the rear axle. I believe up to '94 they used mechanical speedometers and '98 and up get the speedo reading from the VSS on the axle.

Ford Truck Articles