Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Raptors

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That still makes it different than the one you get off the showroom floor.You can't compare a truck that was prepped to run at Baja to a truck on the showroom floor.What I wanna see,is a showroom Raptor pay a visit to Baja on a regular day,and run the course.

While that's true...I take it to be the same thing as when the big three would make vehicles to compete in NASCAR or LeMans. Not exactly the same vehicles, but basically detuned for the street. I think it's a tad unreasonable to think a vehicle from the showroom floor should be able to go out and compete. That said, I still think the Raptor is hype, an underperformer for the price. If it was a 30k truck, it would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more interesting to me.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Very true Ben.I'm not one to say it can't perform,because there's been extensive testing done with it,and it's been proven that it can.

My biggest problem with the Raptor is all the attention it gets.People think it's such an amazing truck,when in reality,it's just an overpriced F150,with beefier suspension,a big motor,and wider body panels.There's nothing different about this truck than what SVT has been putting out for the last 15 years.

The attention it gets around here is horrible.Especially when you're still in High School,where kids tend to assume they know everything about vehicles.Over 3/4 of my friends want one,just because it looks cool.They don't base their opinion on knowledge of the truck,they just talk highly of it because of the way it looks.I'm pretty sure those who can actually afford it are the same way.It's ridiculous.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
45k and change fully loaded, every upgrade and option available.

a king ranch 150 STARTS at 42k...

thats just the 150's if you get into the super duty's then you can spend alotta monies...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Shaun the wider body panels are do to the wider stance of the truck.
there not for looks, but for necessity as the truck is wider for more stability...

Yea I know.In Florida at least it's against the law for tires to stick out a certain length from the fenders.I see the reasoning for the wider body panels.

As far as pricing goes,you can't even touch a base Ranger for any less than 17,000.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
have you priced showroom trucks lately ben?
30k doesnt get you awhole lot.

Add in the fact that its an SVT vehicle and the price will go up...

Yes I have, I've been on about 70 lots across NC and SC over the last 3 months...and you can get a pretty nice 150 in the 18-25k range. Even bump that to 30k...I don't see 20k in difference between the Raptor and a typical 150. There are two Raptors on the local lot, been there for about a month...one is 49,900 and the other is 48ish...add tax and other fees, you're well over 50k. You may not be able to duplicate a Raptor exactly, but I'd be willing to bet, if you buy a 150 at 30k, you could invest the other 20k into parts that would far outperform the Raptor.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
Why guys on a Ford truck fanatics web site would not be happy with all the attention this truck is getting is beyond me. It's a FORD smilieFordlogo .
We all know Ford makes good quality products otherwise we wouldn't drive em. Would I own a Raptor probably not, I'd rather spend my money on a heavy hauler. But would drive one if given the opportunity.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
then your looking at used trucks, base f150 is 23k...

the 49k raptor is to give the salesmen room to work with...

2010's...Cloninger Ford, 17 F150's, about half of them (XL's and XLT's...Reg cabs and supercabs) range from upper 18's to 25k:

http://cloningerford.com/inventory....rt=MakeModel&hideused=true&hidecertified=true

For the record, This guy^^^ is probably the most expensive dealer in a 30 mile radius.

Why guys on a Ford truck fanatics web site would not be happy with all the attention this truck is getting is beyond me. It's a FORD smilieFordlogo .
We all know Ford makes good quality products otherwise we wouldn't drive em. Would I own a Raptor probably not, I'd rather spend my money on a heavy hauler. But would drive one if given the opportunity.

It's not that I'm not happy it's getting the attention, but as a TRUCK fanatic, I'm not gonna get snowed by some fancy shocks and graphics. Yes, I know it's more in depth than that, but I don't see it being 20k more in depth than that. As I've said before, if you have the cash to drop on one, good for you. But if you buy for the sole purpuse to go sand running because you buy in to the hype, you're an idiot.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ben, its not a little more in-depth than shocks and graphics... It's a lot more in-depth...

And it's also not fair to compare the price to base model F150s because it's not a base model-- it has a lot of the bells and whistles too.

well ben not to hijack the thread or anything but back in the early days of nascar the racers did actually buy a car off the showroom floor and run em thats where the what wins the race on sunday sells on monday comes in. i have seen interviews with richard petty and his father and both men have said that they bought cars put a helmet on and went racing. and i am not sure but i think that may have happened all the way up to about when the hemi was outlawed from nascar. because true mopar guys will note that the nascar teams would just blueprint a bone stock motor and produce roughly 850 hp and then theyd throw some tires and a roll cage in and go. then everything started going to crap and now nascar is the way it is today. sorry for being such long winded, but i bet if you researched it the trucks running the baha years ago were infact showroom trucks. please noone quote me on this i am just making assumptions, ok hijack over

45k and change fully loaded, every upgrade and option available.

a king ranch 150 STARTS at 42k...

thats just the 150's if you get into the super duty's then you can spend alotta monies...

And what could you do w/ 40-50k to sink into your truck.... :wasntme:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben, its not a little more in-depth than shocks and graphics... It's a lot more in-depth...

And it's also not fair to compare the price to base model F150s because it's not a base model-- it has a lot of the bells and whistles too.

I know it's more than a little, that was merely for emphasis. And I didn't realize an XLT supercab 4x4 F150 was a base model????? What's above XLT? Lariat and King Ranch?

The point I'm trying to make is, for 50k, you can get a nice brand new 150 for 25k and then you have 25k to play with. And I doubt you'd need all of that extra 25k to outperform the Raptor on all levels. Shoot you know as well as I do, 5k in an engine will put out more power than the Raptor's. You also know 5k maybe 10k will give you a better suspension than the raptor. So that leaves you 10-15k to beef up whatever else you want, or just shove it in your pocket. So I stand by what I've said all along, the extra 'bells and whistles' don't justify the price tag of the Raptor in my opinion.

well ben not to hijack the thread or anything but back in the early days of nascar the racers did actually buy a car off the showroom floor and run em thats where the what wins the race on sunday sells on monday comes in. i have seen interviews with richard petty and his father and both men have said that they bought cars put a helmet on and went racing. and i am not sure but i think that may have happened all the way up to about when the hemi was outlawed from nascar. because true mopar guys will note that the nascar teams would just blueprint a bone stock motor and produce roughly 850 hp and then theyd throw some tires and a roll cage in and go. then everything started going to crap and now nascar is the way it is today. sorry for being such long winded, but i bet if you researched it the trucks running the baha years ago were infact showroom trucks. please noone quote me on this i am just making assumptions, ok hijack over

I know that, I was saying along the lines of the Boss 429 and engines like that, where there had to be XX amount of cars produced for the lot so they're be legal to use at the NASCAR level.

And what could you do w/ 40-50k to sink into your truck.... :wasntme:

QFT...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I know it's more than a little, that was merely for emphasis. And I didn't realize an XLT supercab 4x4 F150 was a base model????? What's above XLT? Lariat and King Ranch?

The point I'm trying to make is, for 50k, you can get a nice brand new 150 for 25k and then you have 25k to play with. And I doubt you'd need all of that extra 25k to outperform the Raptor on all levels. Shoot you know as well as I do, 5k in an engine will put out more power than the Raptor's. You also know 5k maybe 10k will give you a better suspension than the raptor. So that leaves you 10-15k to beef up whatever else you want, or just shove it in your pocket. So I stand by what I've said all along, the extra 'bells and whistles' don't justify the price tag of the Raptor in my opinion.
You cannot get an F150 with all of the same trim options and extra features as a Raptor for 25k, I guarantee it. Not brand new model year. I've priced them out because I'll be in the market pretty soon.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You cannot get an F150 with all of the same trim options and extra features as a Raptor for 25k, I guarantee it. Not brand new model year. I've priced them out because I'll be in the market pretty soon.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with my point...I'm not so much arguing that you can get the same trim options. Maybe it's just me, but I'd be ecstatic with a modern XLT package, but that's beside the point. What I'm trying to get at is, there are a couple arguments here that seem to be jumping around. Either it's better optioned than a base 150, or it's a better equipped desert runner. My point is, you can beat the Raptor in both arguments for less money. If you want a desert runner, you can buy a brand spankin new truck for half of the Raptor, and then invest 10-15k and have something that far outperforms. Or if you're worried about the creature comforts, I'll step out on a limb here and say you can find a truck for cheaper with a comparable cabin (dunno how much cheaper but Don threw out 42k for a KR). Personally, I haven't looked too far in to the amenities side of the Raptor, because I'm more concerned with the performance, so that last part, I may have just shown my ignorance, but then that goes back to my personal preference, if you want a plush hotel on wheels, it's a cheaper investment to buy a car. But that's just the way I see things, your money, your perogative.

So to me, there seems to be two trains of thought when it comes to the Raptor...most think it's a cool desert rig. Great, but you can get in to a desert rig for waaaaaaay cheaper. Others like the options, and I'd be willing to bet the vast majority in this class, won't use the Raptor for more than a pavement pounder, and again...you can get into a plush rig for cheaper, just depends on yuor definition of plush. So I guess what I'm saying is, whatever the Raptor is being touted as per argument, there is some as good if not better on the same lot for cheaper.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with my point...I'm not so much arguing that you can get the same trim options. Maybe it's just me, but I'd be ecstatic with a modern XLT package, but that's beside the point. What I'm trying to get at is, there are a couple arguments here that seem to be jumping around. Either it's better optioned than a base 150, or it's a better equipped desert runner. My point is, you can beat the Raptor in both arguments for less money. If you want a desert runner, you can buy a brand spankin new truck for half of the Raptor, and then invest 10-15k and have something that far outperforms. Or if you're worried about the creature comforts, I'll step out on a limb here and say you can find a truck for cheaper with a comparable cabin (dunno how much cheaper but Don threw out 42k for a KR). Personally, I haven't looked too far in to the amenities side of the Raptor, because I'm more concerned with the performance, so that last part, I may have just shown my ignorance, but then that goes back to my personal preference, if you want a plush hotel on wheels, it's a cheaper investment to buy a car. But that's just the way I see things, your money, your perogative.
What I want is a capable truck (towing, payload, general power, handling, safety, etc) that is very comfortable to drive. A car won't work-- I need a truck. So in light of that I would like to get a nice F150 or F250 with all of the bells and whistles. Now keeping that in mind, if I spec out an F150 like that, it'll be up near or in the 40s. Grab a Raptor which has most of the same bells and whistles and compare the price-- it ain't THAT much more expensive. Say I can spec an identical F150 without the extra Raptor components for 40k, and you guys are saying the Raptor is 45k? So you're only paying an extra 5k for the extra Raptor awesomeness? In that light-- I would say the Raptor seems like a pretty damned good deal.

So it's not fair to say you're paying 25k for some shocks and springs... You're really paying more like 40k for a 40k truck, and paying an extra 5-10k on top for the added Raptor awesomeness.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So to me, there seems to be two trains of thought when it comes to the Raptor...most think it's a cool desert rig. Great, but you can get in to a desert rig for waaaaaaay cheaper. Others like the options, and I'd be willing to bet the vast majority in this class, won't use the Raptor for more than a pavement pounder, and again...you can get into a plush rig for cheaper, just depends on yuor definition of plush. So I guess what I'm saying is, whatever the Raptor is being touted as per argument, there is some as good if not better on the same lot for cheaper.
But what if you want a nice comfortable truck with all the options and you would ALSO like to wheel it (maybe in the desert like you say)? That's what I would like... So the Raptor would be a very decent option for someone like me, in terms of cost... If only it had a higher tow rating...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So I guess it really just comes down to what truck you're willing to start with. If 40k is your number, fine...but mine was 25k. So you're right, starting with a 40k truck, no you can't build it to be better than a Raptor, but if you're like me and prefer the the 25k flavor, hands down, you can build a better truck for 10k less.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Yes I have, I've been on about 70 lots across NC and SC over the last 3 months...and you can get a pretty nice 150 in the 18-25k range. Even bump that to 30k...I don't see 20k in difference between the Raptor and a typical 150. There are two Raptors on the local lot, been there for about a month...one is 49,900 and the other is 48ish...add tax and other fees, you're well over 50k. You may not be able to duplicate a Raptor exactly, but I'd be willing to bet, if you buy a 150 at 30k, you could invest the other 20k into parts that would far outperform the Raptor.

Then it wouldn't have a factory backed warranty or the amount of engineering, resources, research, testing, etc that went into making the Raptor! It might cost a little more this way, but you know for certain that it is put together right and will perform flawlessy. SVT has always been VERY good making the WHOLE package work together. I'm guessing an F150 that had the same interior setup as a raptor would be closer to 40k. Even if you take your 20k guess, take the truck to a shop, get a COMPETELY new suspension, huge travel, the bling mack daddy shocks that are on it, all of the custom body work to make the truck damn near a foot wider than a stock one, the market lights that are needed for the extra width, the wheel and tire combo, etc, etc plus labor I don't think it'd be that far off, then on top of all that you'd have a brand new truck with no warranty.

edit: didn't read all the way through, looks like skanalicious covered my points already :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts