Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Questions

davbell22602

1967 F100 Project Truck
I'm interesting in buying a 1987 F150 2wd automatic trany w/ 351 high output 4 barrel carburator. Plus over 100K.

1) What is a 351 high output?
2) Whats the horsepower of a 351 high output 4 barrel?
3) Is a 351 high output a cleveland or windsor?
4) How reliable is this going to be as a daily driver with over 100K? The seller is asking 1200 or best offer.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The 351 in a 1987 should have been fuel injected, so there's no guarantee from where we sit, but it should also be a Windsor block. I know the HO has modified heads and possibly another cam, but those are the 2 things I'm not sure of.

Ryan

The 351 in a 1987 should have been fuel injected, so there's no guarantee from where we sit, but it should also be a Windsor block. I know the HO has modified heads and possibly another cam, but those are the 2 things I'm not sure of.

Ryan

No they are not they are carbed. IIRC the HO was not put in these factory.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ck all the fluids, and stuff, does it look like its been taken care of? Does the guy know anything about cars? Just a few ways I guage on how a new car might treat me.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I'm interesting in buying a 1987 F150 2wd automatic trany w/ 351 high output 4 barrel carburator. Plus over 100K.

1) What is a 351 high output?
2) Whats the horsepower of a 351 high output 4 barrel?
3) Is a 351 high output a cleveland or windsor?
4) How reliable is this going to be as a daily driver with over 100K? The seller is asking 1200 or best offer.

ok let me put it this way if the 351W HO is strong you'll feel it. i have one in the 88 but its been converted to EFI. and its really really strong. but has a better cam and timing is bumped up also but it started with a good strong base.

1. the 351 HO is basically just a beefed up version of a regular everyday 351 Windsor with a better intake and heads.
2. the HP from the factory it shows 210 HP. but remember this is at the flywheel so itll be probably closer to 170. and thats if the previous owners havent worn it down.
3. its a Windsor. no Clevelands were built for trucks ever. and stopped production in the mid 70's.
4. only time will tell. just drive it and make your best judgment. if the steering is sloppy it may have more than 100k on it. does it stop good? is the suspension stiff? look at body lines. they will tell you 2 things if the front end body lines dont quite match up its probably been in a wreck. and 2 if the doors are sagging alot (like our 88) and are hard to shut its probably got 200k on it.

just this is the tip of what can be looked at.

The only difference between a regular 351 and a 351HO from this era is the (marine)cam and 4bbl intake.. same E5TE heads and 8.5:1 bottom end as all other truck motors, but that's enough to make it noticably stronger than the plane jane motor.

100k is nowhere on this motor if it has been maintained, but this is an old truck so you can expect to find all the things that come with that like dried out body seals and worn door hinges, less than tight steering, sagged suspension, faded paint, and more squeakes and rattles than a newer vehicle would have. None of that will stop it from moving however and the powertrain is as simple and bulletproof as it gets so it should be quite reliable, just don't expect great fuel milage.

davbell22602

1967 F100 Project Truck
The only difference between a regular 351 and a 351HO from this era is the (marine)cam and 4bbl intake.. same E5TE heads and 8.5:1 bottom end as all other truck motors, but that's enough to make it noticably stronger than the plane jane motor.

100k is nowhere on this motor if it has been maintained, but this is an old truck so you can expect to find all the things that come with that like dried out body seals and worn door hinges, less than tight steering, sagged suspension, faded paint, and more squeakes and rattles than a newer vehicle would have. None of that will stop it from moving however and the powertrain is as simple and bulletproof as it gets so it should be quite reliable, just don't expect great fuel milage.

What kind of fuel mileage would I get? 15-20 mpg?

Well guy said it has a little valve tapping to it. He said he would have tighten down on the lifters/rocker arms to get rid of the tap sound.
No that's won't help, the valvetrain in these motors is non adjustable(pedistal mount rockers), so it may need a new lifter or two.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Look at more like 15 as tops for mileage in a 4x2 with 351. My uncle bought that same setup 351 4 bbl carb new in 87 because he didn't like the new stuff!

The 351 is a good motor . If its not to hilly where you live 200000- 250000 easy out of it . In a hilly mountain area look at a lower number . As it will be ran hard in the hills . They will last long time with valve tap . Either way good truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts