Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford May Stop Ranger Production

i'm not ashamed to say i'd trade my 150 and the van for a
'99 ranger. i miss mine.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Rangers are built in the Twin Cities. AutoNews reported Ford is closing the plant soon. No assembly plant = no Rangers. Spending BILLIONS on Jaguar, and Land Rover so far, without making a cent in profit on either vehicle, has killed other long time Ford vehicles, because there's no money for R&D. Crown Vic/Mercury Marquis are next on the chopping block.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Rangers are built in the Twin Cities. AutoNews reported Ford is closing the plant soon. No assembly plant = no Rangers. Spending BILLIONS on Jaguar, and Land Rover so far, without making a cent in profit on either vehicle, has killed other long time Ford vehicles, because there's no money for R&D. Crown Vic/Mercury Marquis are next on the chopping block.

Yep- that's my biggest gripe about FMC. The problem with the Ranger isn't the truck- it's the market segment that it's in. Folks are either going full-size or bagging the truck thing entirely.

Don't forget that the Ranger is also built in Edison New Jersey plant as well not that that will keep it in production but they are built in 2 plants.

Bruteforcerider

ASE master, Ford Senior Master, Diesel and hybrid
ohio
I always thought that if they just maybe made it a little bigger {similar to a dakota}and offered the 4.6 it would sell better.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I tend to agree with you, Brute. That would help out it's towing ability but still keep it semi-light. Not to mention more fuel efficiency than a full size.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I tend to agree with you, Brute. That would help out it's towing ability but still keep it semi-light. Not to mention more fuel efficiency than a full size.

Forget MPG . 3 Guys at work sold their 2005-2007 4x4 Rangers because they were lucky to get 18 MPG .And full sized 4x4 get 15 ish . I get 16 MPG on a 14 year old F150 truck. They went back to full sized.

If the ranger was small like in late 80's 90's with a 4 banger and manual trans it would sell like crazy (Lite wieght = MPG) . I got 24 MPG on a trip in a 90 4x4 version . So towing Cap isn't great get a full sized Heck they can down size them 90% people dont even use bed.. But they can stop a plane .Been awhile since needed that 1.

It's too bad if they kill it.. and bad timing if you ask me with rising gas prices. I don't understand why they never offered the 4cyl diesel here in north america, that should deliver the towing capacity and milage everybody is and is going to be looking for. The truck plant in Oshawa or Windsor Ontario... where ever it is/was.. produced 4dr diesel Rangers last time I heard, and every single one of them was loaded on a boat and shipped to south and central america.:headbang:

i had an 02 ranger i traded for my 250. in town is was getting about 15mpg. granted is was a 4.0 4x4, but still - thats pathetic.

you can get a stripped down ranger fairly reasonable, but to get anything with a few options is $20,000+. everyone wants something different. some complain about not having enough options, some complain about wanting a stripped down truck and not being able to get it. to me, if you're going to spend $20k and want more seats, get a 150, let the ranger be a stripped down grocery getter. sure, let it be a 4x4, but don't blend it too much with a 150.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Timing is everything. Gas is headed for $4/gal, and we can't keep a Colorado on the lot. A year ago, we couldn't give one away. I see Ranger sales are up 27% for February while big truck sales are getting shellacked.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Real numbers are one thing, but it's perception that sells trucks, right, Ernie? And a lot of people think Rangers should do better on gas than a full-size...

*There's other advantages to Rangers, too. Where I'm parking in a college parking lot, for example, I'd have to pass up some spaces if I had a full-size, because it would be too tight and my doors would end up all dinged. Much less an issue with the Ranger. I'm not sure if I'll buy another one or not, but a slightly used one will be darn near the top of the shopping list, for sure, when I get done school and need more reliable wheels.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts