Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ford lovers be proud

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
I'll have you know that 460 has pulled many a stump outta the ground. As a matter of fact, that's how I twisted the front bumper once. Had about a 3ft diameter stump, one of the straps got outta position and before I knew what was going on, my bumper was twisted like a pretzel in the middle. But I guess that's what jy's are for. FYI...you do realize the most torque output is in reverse right? As for traction...yeah, I couldn't promise a no rut pull.

Oh I'm sure your 460 has many a stump under it's belt!

Are you saying a truck makes more power in Reverse? I thought so, and even asked this on FTE but nobody gave me an answer. If that's what you're saying, then WHY does it produce more power in [R]?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh I'm sure your 460 has many a stump under it's belt!

In all fairness, we were expanding our back yard...so it didn't really matter if there were ruts or not.

Are you saying a truck makes more power in Reverse? I thought so, and even asked this on FTE but nobody gave me an answer. If that's what you're saying, then WHY does it produce more power in [R]?

I am say that yes, you'll have more pulling power in reverse aka torque. As to why, I'm not really sure, and maybe I'm just following an old wives tale, but that is what I've always read and been told.

FYI...saying eff tee eee over here is kinda an unspoken no-no. Just so when folks are searching and whatnot they don't pick up on that site. And because there's a bunch of bad blood between quite a few members over here and French Turd Enthusiasts.

Pin it to win it! smiliepopcorn

When in doubt...throttle out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
In all fairness, we were expanding our back yard...so it didn't really matter if there were ruts or not.

I am say that yes, you'll have more pulling power in reverse aka torque. As to why, I'm not really sure, and maybe I'm just following an old wives tale, but that is what I've always read and been told.

FYI...saying eff tee eee over here is kinda an unspoken no-no. Just so when folks are searching and whatnot they don't pick up on that site. And because there's a bunch of bad blood between quite a few members over here and French Turd Enthusiasts.

When in doubt...throttle out.

It's gonna depend on your gear ratio in the transmission...if 1st is lower then more tq multiplication...if reverse is lower then more there.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It's gonna depend on your gear ratio in the transmission...if 1st is lower then more tq multiplication...if reverse is lower then more there.

Figured that...but didn't know if it went any further than that...and I was trying to avoid the next question of 'what's my tranny ratio'

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Figured that...but didn't know if it went any further than that...and I was trying to avoid the next question of 'what's my tranny ratio'

No, that's pretty much it and I think the ratios vary with model, year, type etc.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Hmmm, very interesting. Sorry about the Ef Tee Hee comment.

I know my truck makes more torque in Reverse. I can feel it. I know my transmission ratios but have no idea what the Reverse would be.

"When in doubt throttle out".. Nice one Ben!!

Usually 1st gear and reverse are the same gearing.. the counter shaft gears reverse like 1st.

Would you like a pic ?

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
A picture of what? If it's not too much trouble, by all means, please!

Maybe it's all in my head but I could promise my truck makes more power in reverse than it does in forward gear.

I think you all might just be messing with me, lol!

:nana: :pimp: so today i was at the gas station getn gas in my 84and the guy at the pump next to me was mouthin off about it (he was in a suped up 06 duramax) so i was like alright come on we'll race....so we lined up at a redlight (my gf still bitchin me out) and on green we both punched it he pulled away of the line but once i hit second i got him and half a mile later i beat him by 2.5 carlengths and we pulled into a parking lot and he tryed to buy my truck (my gf STILL pissed cuz i just raced some douche) and i ket denying him. so he finally gave up n i got him to go away and went and put gas Back in the truck....ps. he had digital guages n he said tht he crossed the line doin 148 so i had to altleast be goin 155-160.............who ever said an old truck caint haul sum ***?

Awesome!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Usually 1st gear and reverse are the same gearing.. the counter shaft gears reverse like 1st.

Would you like a pic ?

Usually, but not always.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
ive done 160 in a neon srt-4...fast enough for me.

ive done 115 in my truck, no death wobble nothing..in fact around 100 it got suprisingly smooth, scary smooth. everything that was vibrating was spinining so fast it was smooth.

now my dad has a speeding ticket from the late 80s, for doing 140. in his 67 f250 352ci, np 435

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
ive done 160 in a neon srt-4...fast enough for me.

ive done 115 in my ticket.

now my dad has a speeding ticket from the late 80s, for doing 140. in his 67 f250 352ci, np 435

So what you're saying is a frickin Dodge Neon can out run Duncan's Shelby???????? And 115...how do you know that, doesn't your speedo only hit 85, you wanna scan in that ticket? And lastly, how built was that 352 to be able to hit 140, and how about scanning in that ticket too???

I wanna know where some of you guys get your tune-ups...I need to start going there cuz your mechanics must wok magic. Not saying anyone is lying here...but with my experiences, I guess I've become a skeptic and would have to see it with my own eyes.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Hey Ben, I know my truck used to could run 100 mph. At least I think so. My speedo goes up to 90 and I could bottom this out. This was when I had a 3.08 gear ratio.

Now my top speed is about 70.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
115 i got it off the gps i had setting on my dash.

the srt 4 was heavly modified. Better turbo. nos etc.

i havent seen the ticket in a few years, but he did lose his license over it. i dont really know the conditions of it. down hill. tail wind what have you..

this isnt like in a 1/4 mile or a mile. This is over many miles trying to obtain a top speed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Ben, I know my truck used to could run 100 mph. At least I think so. My speedo goes up to 90 and I could bottom this out. This was when I had a 3.08 gear ratio.

Now my top speed is about 70.

Yeah...I wasn't doubting the 115 as much. And after doing a little digging, looks like Dodge claimed the SRT-4 top speed was 153...who knows if that's a real world number though. As for the 352 hitting 140...I gotta know the specs on that build. But I wasn't just trying to pick on Anthony, there are several claims in here that seem to be slightly embellished.

And not to mention, what kind of a wreckless idiot do you have to be to be doing some of the claimed speeds in this thread...it's down right dangerous. I don't give a damn if you kill yourself...but if you lose control at those speeds and hit someone else...then I care. It's not a matter of 'well I haven't done that yet' or 'if it will happen'...it's a matter of...will you grow up before it happens? Don't get me wrong...I speed from time to time too, but nothing ever over 7mph. If you wanna be John Force...go to the track.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
the neon was on a abandoned air strip out side of laramie.

the 140 was dont on abandon section of highway 33 in oklahoma. They built 412 to replace 33. it was a known place for drag racing and speed demons...thats how he got caught.

My 115 was done on a little two lane highway with nothing for miles and miles...

its not like we are talking about pulling 100+ in traficc thats just stupid. ever been putting along at the limit and you fly up on someone going way under the limit. Imagine doing that at over 100 thats a scary proposition.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
off to work continue to delegate amongst yourselves.

btw i pulled some info off a cummins isx computer (brain dead right now) it was an overspeed problem obivously, rod through block. But we wanted to pull off all the info we could.

At the time of the code, and damage. the truck was doing 122. pete 389, cummins isx, 10 speed eaton. bobtailing. thats scary.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles