Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford is trying a little too hard to prove the Ecoboost

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I was just reading an article about how Ford is gonna haul logs with the Ecoboost, then take it to Homestead, Florida and pull two Fusions around for 24 hours, and then take the motor and stick it in a Baja truck and run it in the Baja 1000.

Why in the world is Ford trying so hard to prove the durability of the Ecopoof? I would think people would be optimistic about a relatively High Output 25+ MPG V6, so there would be no need for all this extra proof.

They also said that they have put it through roughly 150,000 miles of rigorous testing. Well, this is where I have my doubts on reliability. Yea, sure it can reach 150,000 miles, but that 150,000 miles came in a month or so. One factor they're not testing is time. Will this motor still be reliable in 2020? Or do they just assume most people will get rid of the trucks before the truck hits 100K?

Here's a link to the article I was reading...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09/from-the-dyno-to-the-baja-1000-ford-seeks-to-prove-its-new-ecoboost-v-6-is-durable.html

Pony Hauler

Delaware Chapter member
I drove this truck today, and was very impressed with its power. A friend of mine drove it pulling a 6800 lb trailer and he said it had no problems. The electric steering on it is outstanding. No hesitation in the throttle response, like I currently have in my 2007.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Exactly. I haven't heard anything bad about the Ecopoof, so I don't understand why Ford is going out of their way to prove the motor is good. Most people hear about it having twin turbos and that's good enough for them.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Why drop ford trucks out of airplanes in the 70s? why throw a chevy on the box and drive up a pile of rocks?

When you do impressive things with your vehicles the public gains interest.

Its called marketing 101. Make people take interest in your products.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Why drop ford trucks out of airplanes in the 70s? why throw a chevy on the box and drive up a pile of rocks?

Well, towing vehicles around a race track for 24 hours or running in baja isn't necessarily as impressive to me as throwing a truck out of an airplane. Maybe it's just me, but seeing somebody else do it doesn't necessarily change my opinion on how the vehicle performs. I'm pretty sure painting the truck in rainbow colors and jumping it from a cliff would gain more attention than what they're currently doing. The majority of women who will be buying these trucks could care less how it performs, as long as it gets them to the grocery store and soccer games.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
You have buyer statistics that show the majority of them are bought by women to drive to the store?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

I saw those two commercials on youtube....pretty cool. Did you see the one with King Kong and the 77 F150?

Pickup buyers are known to be the most conservative on earth- any new technology is going to be recieved with a healthy dose of scepticism.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You have a new motor that demands a price premium. Try to convince a truck buyer to go with the smaller unproven motor. And since it's a cross-platform motor, try to convince ms. football mom that she wants the ecoboost in her taurus instead of a standard NA engine.

You've got to go out there and push the item so people don't just view it as a more expensive alternative.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts