Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Follow Along As I Build A 400

How did you know you had your valves rubbing against your cylinder walls?

I guess if your rings are sealing its fine, but No4 cyl ring could worn faster....

The engine had some problems and I didn't know they were rubbing until I tore it down, the Ex. guides on that head were junk as well. Funny thing is they didn't rub on the other bank???

Not to worried about that rusted cylinder, it's going into a mud truck and will be hammered on when it's running. Might smoke a bit from time to time he'll just have to deal with it.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Kick ass build man, what do you use to do all the grinding in the valley?

ajajaj, those pistons look like 302 clevor based boss pistons..

Those are 351clevor pistons, I don't think you can buy them any more, they have the valve reliefs for the cantered valve head like the Cleveland. I think I bought those at Flatlanders.

Kick ass build man, what do you use to do all the grinding in the valley?

I use all the stuff I port with but most of the flat surfaces in the valley I used my little die grinder, the kind that has the screw on pads. I use the 60 grit paper pads to get the heavy stuff then I use the sand rolls to a polish.

My-Tools.jpg

Well I got as far as putting the rings on the pistons and with my new thumb injury it will have to wait until I get to my other tool box so I can grab my ring expander... I got the block relieved for the intake valves and installed the crank. The ring gap was more than enough and the clearance on the mains were with in .001 to .003...

Look at the block where the gasket has the relief for the other bank were I didn't relieve it. You can see why I do this the incoming intake charge would slam right into the top of the block making all kinds of turbulence.

100_7883-850.jpg

Here you can see that I stayed up higher than were the top ring stops at TDC.

100_7882-850.jpg

Crank in

100_7888-850.jpg

I'll be back at it on Monday although I might have a new job and I have to get my ring expander..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
great build!!! good luck :)

Looking nice, hey what caused the bad cyllinder rust? I ask cuz i had one that rsuted exactly in the same spot, but couldnt figure why it got rusty, the engine was completely built and coulnt find anything that could start the rust...

Seems to me water got into it some how... don't know??

hmmm I thought it llathough it seamed strange, maybe thru the carb and into any cylinder with an open intake valve at the time.... who knows it was a mistery...

No but it was all I had, you have to keep it cool some how. Here is some info on what I'm doing with the ignition.

http://street2mud.com/webfiles/'75 V8 Prestolite to Duraspark Distributor.pdf

That is a HEI module it's going to take the place of the ignition box that ford used with the duraspark distributors. Lots cheaper to replace than the ford box and from what I've heard it's a better unit.

more info on re-curving the timing

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hey thats awesome! i've never seen that done before.
But what better about doing this then just going with a HEI style dizzy?

Hey thats awesome! i've never seen that done before.
But what better about doing this then just going with a HEI style dizzy?

Money i guess, plus you can tune the duraspark real easy. I never used a HEI style dizzy, not sure how to tune one or how hard it is. Plus you can use what ever coil you want with the duraspark. The most impotent thing is with a HEI type distributor on a ford it looks like the motor is in backwards..lol

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I have one of my trucks only for the reason keeping the bay cleaner looking, less wires and box's and I got them for real cheap ;)
BTW what does "WhippleSurvivor" mean? is that like some kinda wine?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts