Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Floor all welded

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Mine are keyed the same...takes any confusion out of it.

You mean one key fits doors and ignition?I can understand that,but from what he said,it sounds like they sent him an ignition style key for his door locks,and if he has the original square ignition key,then it wouldn't be hard to get the two confused.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
My door key is square too. It is a bit of a pain, but I thought that was the way they were. Even the keys the PO gave me were both square.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My door key is square too. It is a bit of a pain, but I thought that was the way they were. Even the keys the PO gave me were both square.

I've only ever had square keys for the 23 Dents that I've owned.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Oh ok Ben. I was now thinking they should be round because of what Shaun said in his post above me.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh ok Ben. I was now thinking they should be round because of what Shaun said in his post above me.

Yeah...I was agreeing with you. I have seen new keys cut that were round...but most of the original keys I have or have seen have been square.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
The original one for the 72 is square and its the same for ignition and doors. The 85 has two different ones for the doors and ignition theyre also original.

78F250

New Jersey Chapter member
Now the money pit needs a new water pump. I popped the hood and was greeted by coolant running down the pump body. Fortunately, parts are pretty inexpensive. $25 including core. How hard is windshield replacement to tackle on my own? I have a spot where it looks like a BB gun shot the windshield. I don't have to replace it anytime soon, just getting mentally prepared.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Windshields are easy peasy lemon squeeze in these years of trucks. all you need is a string and they pop right in. a Just wrap the string(in the gasket and pull the4 string from the inside and the gasket pops over the lip and it's in.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I've only ever had square keys for the 23 Dents that I've owned.

Hmmm Maybe the whole round door lock key thing didn't start until the 80's.When I got my truck it didn't come with a door key,so I switched the locks out for ones from an 83,and it came with a factory ford round key.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hmmm Maybe the whole round door lock key thing didn't start until the 80's.When I got my truck it didn't come with a door key,so I switched the locks out for ones from an 83,and it came with a factory ford round key.

Possible...because I've owned several 80/90's trucks/broncos too...and I didn't notice any round keys til my 83. Have you ever had a dentside, or are you trying to apply 80's stuff to the 70's? But as I said, I've only ever had square keys for my dents...some original, some not.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Possible...because I've owned several 80/90's trucks/broncos too...and I didn't notice any round keys til my 83. Have you ever had a dentside, or are you trying to apply 80's stuff to the 70's? But as I said, I've only ever had square keys for my dents...some original, some not.

I've never personally had a dentside,but dad has,and on his 79 he had a round key and a square key...:confused:

It just doesn't make sense for Ford to have two different square keys for the ignition and for the door locks.That would cause more confusion than needed.Surely Ford woulda been smarter than that.The shape of the key doesn't really matter,but it prevents confusion when the two keys are shaped different for easy identification.I never fully understood why Ford used two different keys in the first place.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gotcha...I was just wondering if you actually knew and had better/more info than I have access to...or if you were just spit balling. Cuz I dunno how it's supposed to be, all I have to go off is what I've had, and it's always been a square key(s)...typically, my ignition and locks have been keyed the same.

Maybe one of the gurus can help out...did these trucks originally have a lock key and ignition key? And what was the shape of said key(s).

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
For the heck of it I went out and tried my ignition key in my original door locks,and it didn't work.So from at least 1980 Ford used two different keys.Bill would know better than the rest of us...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was just on Dennis Carpenter's page. He show's square keys with his door locks.

Ok...and what about ignition keys?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts