Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Flame throwers?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'm not sure how flame throwers work? I'd love to have a set on my truck...(I know it's not a Ford, but it should be the same procedure on anything right?)

I'v done a few Google searches and came up with nothing, Only places selling kits. I'd rather build one my self if it's not to hard. [confused]

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I saw stacey davis? Do one on a chevy truck on trucks...
He said it cuts spark to the motor and lets the motor push the gas and fumes down the exhaust pipe where the ignitor will ignite the gasses creating the flame thrower effect, not something i would want to do...
Now, if you could rig up a propane tank of something to inject into your exhaust and have a ignition point, I.E. spark plug, then it would be much better, IMHO...

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Down in one of those south american countries they sell a kit that blows fire on either side of the car to prevent carjacking. great idea.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'v been looking into it some more, I don't really like the idea of cutting spark to the ignition, but I don't wanna haul a propane tank around all the time either. :headbang:

Perhaps I could rig it up under the truck somehow (once I get the bed floor in it) and then just simply run a coil and plug fro ma switch on the dash to the exhaust....[confused]

Or run another fuel pump through a pressure regulator (don't want 50foot flames ya know) and run it into the exhaust same as the propane would.

Let me know yur opinions on this, and it looks like I have a project to start working on tommrrow if it's not to cold. :D

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I had some body tell me one time that all you need to do is rig up a coil with some spark plugs and mount the plugs in the pipes and that's enough to kick up some flames but only on high revs.
Other then that I don't any thing about them.

purecountry

Tennessee Chapter member
If you dont have cats, only mufflers, then all you need is two coils, two plugs and a tap to put them in. Wire the coils to a toggle, put the plugs in the pipe, when you take it up theres enough resdidua fuel to pop good 8 to 10 foot flames or longers. I have a friend who melted a honda civics bumper at a rod run one year cause the lil prick kept running under his rear end, blowing and being stupid, flipped the switch, tached it a few times, and instant boiled honda. lol

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Some early 6.4L diesels have the flame thrower included in the list of features, and it's at no extra cost :D

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Oh I thought you were talking about REAL flamethrowers. I can tell you how those work, but I'll be damned if I know why anybody would want one.

Gunner

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
X2 on the manual choke. thats how i was told to do it. somethng like an old coil with a switch on it, a spark plug in the tail pipe, and a manual choke.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts