Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fitting a bigger tire

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
that's fine, that's an extreme case and there are plenty of catastophic failures that can occur on a rig...I just don't necessarily feel like adding another.

Very well said, I understand your point of view.

Smashed96gt

Delaware Chapter member
I haven't had any problems with my BL. And as far as I'm concerned the only way to get any ground clearance is to run bigger tires. Otherwise the differentials are still the lowest point and they will be at stock height as long as you are running stock size tires.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I haven't had any problems with my BL. And as far as I'm concerned the only way to get any ground clearance is to run bigger tires. Otherwise the differentials are still the lowest point and they will be at stock height as long as you are running stock size tires.

There's more to ground clearance than just where the diff hangs. Picture a dude with cut fenders running 38's trying to do the same thing as a guy with 6" suspension lift and 38's...sure they're both running 38's...but the dude with cut fenders will have worse approach/departure angles and will risk a higher chance of getting high centered...not to mention stuffed fender wells and minimal articulation.

Smashed96gt

Delaware Chapter member
While I understand what you are saying none of that is actual(sp?) ground clearance.

The state of Delaware defines ground clearance as the distance between the lowest point of the vehicle and the ground. 99.9% of the time that is the differential.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
While I understand what you are saying none of that is actual(sp?) ground clearance.

The state of Delaware defines ground clearance as the distance between the lowest point of the vehicle and the ground. 99.9% of the time that is the differential.

Which is fine and dandy...but that won't get you anywhere when you're out wheeling...but no need to worry about that if you're pavement pounding, mall crawling, etc.

Smashed96gt

Delaware Chapter member
Which is fine and dandy...but that won't get you anywhere when you're out wheeling...but no need to worry about that if you're pavement pounding, mall crawling, etc.

Until you get your diff. hung up on something. Don't worry about your diff. snagging that rock you thought you cleared or having your diff. find the one hard spot in the mud hole you were blasting through.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Until you get your diff. hung up on something. Don't worry about your diff. snagging that rock you thought you cleared or having your diff. find the one hard spot in the mud hole you were blasting through.

Right but you'll gain diff clearance when you swap to bigger tires thanks to the suspension lift.

So...

Suspension Lift= FTW
Body Lift=FTL
Cut Fenders=FTL

Smashed96gt

Delaware Chapter member
The key to not gettin it hung up is to hit the biggest rocks with your tires and drive over em rather than straddle em.

I understand that. However; "**** happens". And it was only an example.

UTfball68 said:
Right but you'll gain diff clearance when you swap to bigger tires thanks to the suspension lift.

So...

Suspension Lift= FTW
Body Lift=FTL
Cut Fenders=FTL

And you can gain diff clearance when you swap to bigger tires thanks to the body lift. When I had only the body lift and 33's I had a good bit of articulation and also a good approach and departure angle. Yes the suspension lift gave me more but the BL improved almost everything without harming the ride.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And you can gain diff clearance when you swap to bigger tires thanks to the body lift. When I had only the body lift and 33's I had a good bit of articulation and also a good approach and departure angle. Yes the suspension lift gave me more but the BL improved almost everything without harming the ride.

Not gonna get into the BL vs. SL debate again...the simple answer is suspension lifts are superior to anything else any way you cut it, beyond that, I stand by my prior posts.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts