Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

finishing my bronco2

as many of you here may already know i have a 79 f250. but i also have an 86 bronco 2. 2.9,5speed,4x4 w/manual hubs. it caught on fire on me last summer(bad schrader valve) i spent over $1000 replacing,repairing,and fixing the fire damage. but i have a problem with it that no one can seem to help me through. ill list everything that been replaced post fire. plugs,wires,dist,dist cap and rotor,tfi module,computer,brake master cyl,clutch reserve cyl, all wiring on rear of engine, clutch line, all brakes (they needed replaced anyways) now for my problem. it starts and idles fine when cold but once the temp gauge reads about 120 deg it starts backfiring,popping,carrying on,and eventually dies. but when cold it runs like it always has and has no problems what so ever. did i get a wrong computer from the parts store?? or could this be something else?? before the computer was replaced it ran but it ran like crap hence the computer replacement but now it run good but for only about 10-15 mins at best. it has good fuel pressure,no leaks anywhere, im completely stumped. tried a new alternator and a "new" battery thinkijng the alt died from the wiring being torched and was draining the batt. but the results are the same. so im at a complete loss here. id like to have it finished by this winter since its 4x4 and gets twice the gas milage of my old truck. so anything that you guys could give me on this is greatly appreciated. thanks again,bill

no i havent pulled the codes as of yet. the check engine light doesnt work but then again im not even sure it has one. and i dont have an analog voltage meter to pull the codes from under the hood either. as bad as this may sound i cant afford one right now. i know they're only like 10 bucks but between bills and keepin the truck goin im in kinda stuck. im hoiping to get one soon tho. once i do i will pull the codes and post them on here.

update: went to pull the codes from the bronco lastnight but the battery was dead. so i tried to jump it to no avail. that said, i (against better judgement) pulled the battery from my truck since i knew for a fact its good. and hooked it to the bronco. after installing the truck battery into the bronco i then tried to start the bronco and it didnt even try to crank just simply heard click,click,click and so i thought what on earth is this crap(i had ran the truck not 10 mins prior to pulling its battery) so i rechecked my connections and found the neg cable to be loose. tightened that and then tried to start the bronco again and got the same click click click. so its extremely apparent that i have one heck of a massive power drain somewhere since the bronco completely killed the trucks battery in less than 10 mins or so. (this is a new thing as this didnt happen the last time i had it running) when i tried to jump start the bronco it literally killed my truck when i hit the key. it cranked about 3 or 4 times then started crankin slow so i stopped and decided to wait for a few to let the battery get more of a charge and when i tried again as soon as i hit the key my truck shut off. so im starting to think an auto electrician is going to start getting a nice chunk of money from me in the near future. like i said this is a new thing that its doing. i havent messed with it much in the past couple of months but the last time i had it running it did what i explained earlier when it started to warm up. im at a loss here and this is beyond my knowledge when it come to vehicles. so if anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this any info at all would be great.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts