Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Finally got another engine for my '77 F-250 4x4...

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Talk about a rape wagon... I like it..I wonder if I could get latex sheets for the windows...

That will be awfully hard to do when I get done with the van.

Once the engine is out, all the good parts are going to be stripped off.

Then the body is going to be cut up and formed into a box trailer.

I have an old house trailer axle that will go in place of the Dana 60.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Well, I finally got the old engine out of my '77.

I removed the almost new clutch from the flywheel, then removed the flywheel itself and I did not like what I found.

As soon as I removed the flywheel, a couple pieces of the engine feel out on the ground: a mangled freeze plug, the remains of the rear camshaft bearing, and about 5 inches of the camshaft itself! :headbang: :headbang:

Looks like I did more damage to the engine than I initially thought.

I'm almost afraid of what I will find when I tear down the rest of the engine now. :hammer:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Wow... what the hell happened...

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Damn that's nuts. That was a helluva bind on the cam to be able to break it like that...

The weird part about it is that the engine was knocking like it had a bad rod, not a bad cam.

When the engine blew up, I had just got on the interstate.

I was babying it because it had started knocking about 4 miles before I had gotten on the interstate.

I stopped and checked the oil when it first started knocking and it was fine, so I figured if I took it really easy, that I would be able to make it the 28 miles back home. Wrong! :headbang:

Originally, I thought that it had broken a connecting rod, because I knew it had a rod bearing that was excessively worn.
(found that out when I put new front and rear main seals in the engine)

Not sure what caused the binding that broke the camshaft though.

Guess I'll find out when I tear it down sometime in the near future. :(

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
dayyyyuuummmmm!! but you got one hell of a deal. you got a usable 400 and a usable Dana 60. wtf. for only 275? the guy selling it mustve been desperate.

Don't forget about the rebuilt 2wd C6! lol

The guy pretty much just didn't want the hassle of fixing the van after the fire dept. got done with it.

He told me that he is not "mechanically inclined", and it is just taking up space in his yard.

Not to mention that he has 7 other Ford vans, 6 that are driveable, sitting in his yard.

I don't think he really cared how much it was worth, he was just tired of the city getting on him for an unregistered vehicle in his yard.

Oh well, his loss. My gain!! smilietease

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Well, I'm half way done.

Finally got the engine out of the van today.

Only bad part is that when I was unbolting the exhaust from manifolds, one of the studs snapped. :headbang:

Now I have to find my easy-out set and drill out the stud, before I can put the engine in my truck. :hammer:

I swear, if it isn't one thing, it's another.

Sorry no pics, have to find the camera again.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Did spray it with PB the night before, still broke.

It's ok though, I found a hairline crack in that manifold today as well. :hammer:

I ended up just swapping the manifold with the one from the old engine.

Problem fixed!

Now I just have to wait for Friday (payday) so I can get a new clutch pilot bearing.

I'm hoping to have the engine in by Saturday night, so I can drive the truck out to my landlord's ranch on Sunday.

Should only take 5 or 6 hours to get the engine installed and running, barring any other possible complications.

I'm keepin' my fingers crossed! lol

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Well, I got the new pilot bearing and got it installed today.

Also got the clutch installed and torqued, and the engine is at least sitting in the engine bay. (ran out of daylight) :headbang:

All I have left to do now, is to line it up with the transmission and slide it back into place tomorrow after work. :)

I'm looking forward to having my 4x4 back! :WooHoo:

Also finally found my camera tonight, so I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Well, as of 1:23 this morning, IT'S ALIVE!!! :WooHoo:

There ended up being a lot of little details that needed to be addressed before I could even think about trying to start the engine. 'smiliedoh'

First off, I had to swap out the engine wiring harness with the one from the old engine.
The engine harness from the van was way too short.

Secondly, I had to reroute almost all of the vacuum hoses, as it was plumbed completely different than the truck was.

Lastly, I had to swap out the distributor cap.
The one that was on the engine was cracked badly, and heavily worn.

Needles to say, after 6 hours of unforeseen problems, I was ready to fire it up. :idea:

I dumped a little gas in the carb to prime it, crossed my fingers, and turned the key.

To my surprise, it fired right up and primed itself without having to start it again! YelloThumbUp :nana: :nana:

I drove it out to my landlord's ranch today, and it is a beast!

Seems like it has even more power than the 360 in my '74 2wd.

Especially compared to the worn out 351M that I had in it before.

I will post up pics tomorrow after I get off work.

I'm so glad to finally have my 4x4 back! smilieFordlogo

Awesome man! Glad to hear shes on the road again!

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
You found the camera now where are the pics? How about some audio on her running?? :)

Sorry it took me so long to post back up, but I have taken on a lot more hours at work.

It seems that some of my co-workers have a problem with showing up to work.

Anyways, here are a couple pics of my truck and the new engine.
My77F-2504x4with400M002.jpg

My77F-2504x4with400M003.jpg

My77F-2504x4with400M001.jpg

The "New to me engine."
My77F-2504x4with400M004.jpg

My77F-2504x4with400M005.jpg

I really wish I had a way to record some audio of it running.

Pictures just don't do it justice!

Ford Truck Articles