Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FICM repair????

I think my FICM is bad....I saw on another thread how to test with a volt meter, so I will know for sure in the next few days. My question is does anyone have any experience with the repair services that are out there on the net? They say quick turn around and lifetime warranty and all the things that you want to hear but I don't want to make a mistake and cost me engine problems. I just rolled over 130,000 miles and want to put another 130,000 on it! Some sites offer an upgrade from the standard 48 volts to 58 volts which adds 40hp. I already run a Diablo Sport which adds I think about 60hp and improves mpg......any ideas or suggestions?

http://store.allcomputerresources.com/fordficmrepair.html?gclid=CPOBoIybkK8CFQaDnQodFFWfLw

blacksnapon

Staff member
What kills a FICM is low voltage. The "upgrades" rely very heavily on sufficient voltage. An OEM replacement will be sufficient.

Ok....I ran through the test on the FICM with key on and had 48v, while starting the engine it never dropped below 48v. The scan tool has given me two fault codes P0263 and P0284, both means no cylinder contribution (can't remember which #). I have read where it could be a "weak" FICM, bad wiring to the injectors, or bad injectors....any suggestions on where to begin??? Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok....I ran through the test on the FICM with key on and had 48v, while starting the engine it never dropped below 48v. The scan tool has given me two fault codes P0263 and P0284, both means no cylinder contribution (can't remember which #). I have read where it could be a "weak" FICM, bad wiring to the injectors, or bad injectors....any suggestions on where to begin??? Thanks
p0263 (contribution cyl #1), p0284 (contribution, cyl#8). Chances are 2 bad injectors.

Would it not run rough all the time? I have been having some problems just with a cold start and after it warmed up it would run like a champ. Just two days ago I am 200 miles from home and as I am on I 95 driving 75mph as I pour the pedal to it to pass a car it starts bucking snorting and shaking( its never done this before). I ease off of the throttle and slowly give it fuel and it runs ok, I can tell its not correct but its still running. I am very carefully making my 200 mile trip back home and as the truck needs to down shift or as I am driving on a incline on the interstate it starts shaking and going through the same symptoms again. Any suggestions on the brand of injector? Should all be replaced at the same time? Would or can the FICM show 48v while cranking but then not deliver 48v after its running? I know things are possible but I guess the right question is probable. Thanks for all the info.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Would it not run rough all the time? I have been having some problems just with a cold start and after it warmed up it would run like a champ. Just two days ago I am 200 miles from home and as I am on I 95 driving 75mph as I pour the pedal to it to pass a car it starts bucking snorting and shaking( its never done this before). I ease off of the throttle and slowly give it fuel and it runs ok, I can tell its not correct but its still running. I am very carefully making my 200 mile trip back home and as the truck needs to down shift or as I am driving on a incline on the interstate it starts shaking and going through the same symptoms again. Any suggestions on the brand of injector? Should all be replaced at the same time? Would or can the FICM show 48v while cranking but then not deliver 48v after its running? I know things are possible but I guess the right question is probable. Thanks for all the info.

I would replace the 2 injectors, they get a little sticky inside and give you the problems your describing, running rough cold usually kind of smooths out once engine oil temp gets up to around 90 or so and when you hammer on it often get it to break up and skip a little. If it were my truck I would just replace the ones giving the codes.

Lets say that I replace these two....is there something I can do to prolong the other 6 from failing?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Lets say that I replace these two....is there something I can do to prolong the other 6 from failing?
Verify that you're getting a minumum of 40 psi fuel pressure at the secondary fuel filter (next to oil filter) at WOT. Low fuel pressure will kill injectors.

IDS ran today by local Ford dealer and........low fuel pressure, gotta start with the fuel pump on the rail. It makes some sense about a week before all of this started I heard a whinning noise that I never heard before. So, pump is on the way then we will see if the injectors are good or no good.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts