Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fan clutch issues????

so i need a little insight here.

my engine when it runs at normal idle sounds like it's at high rev, (sounds like one of them industrial blowers when i start the motor)

what is the actual purpose for the clutch, i have replaced quite a few through the years but still dont know its function.....lol

what are the common syptoms and if its bad what damage will i do to the motor if i dont replace it right away, as i cant afford a new one at this time

any help is greatly appreciated

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
the fan clutch is ment to make the engine run more efficiently. the fan clutch is usually (im not saying your is) controlled by temperature. when the fan clutch gets hot it locks and spins the fan at the same speed the pulley is turning. when its cold it unlocks and lets the fan slip so it dosent over cool the engine.
to check my fan clutch i let the engine get good and hot, then turn it off and try to turn the fan. if there is a more resistance than when its cold, i say its good. if its really easy to turn when its hot, i would say its time for a new one.

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Ok tim allen, have you considered that they draw electicity, which means you probably need a bigger alternator, and alternators require engine power to turn, so you ultimately get

LESS POWER!!!!! :flag:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Matt my efan only runs about 1% of the time that I'm driving... So do the math-- I have more power 99% of the time ;)

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
If the mechanical fan clutch is working properly, there will be absolutely no advantage to the e-fan. Whenever you go through an energy conversion (electrical to mechanical) with the e-fan, there are losses, due to the efficiency being no where near 100%. E-fans also don't have anywhere
close to the cooling capacity of a mechanical fan, and due to all the parts
(electric motor, wiring & connectors, relays, and temp controller) an e-fan is way less reliable than a mechanical fan.

This e-fan poll from RF tells the story about aftermarket e-fans:

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=69440&highlight=e-fan+poll

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Too each his own, but I know one thing after installing my Flexalite fan on a toggle switch i'll never go back to a Mfan again..

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Plus, the motor on the e-fan creates heat, which seems kinda backwards for a cooling fan.

My truck has the stock fixed fan, and I know it robs power, but if I was gonna replace it, I'd go with a clutch fan, not a e-fan.

I would worry more about your distributor cap gettin wet. If ya have one I dont mess with new trucks.

nope no distributor on the 5.4, hence the reason for the coil on each plug, which btw is a over head cam setup so the plugs and coils sit on top of the intake straight up and down.....lol.......maybe i oughta get it steamed cleaned instead...too many places for the water to sit

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
nope no distributor on the 5.4, hence the reason for the coil on each plug, which btw is a over head cam setup so the plugs and coils sit on top of the intake straight up and down.....lol.......maybe i oughta get it steamed cleaned instead...too many places for the water to sit

If you spray it stay away from the coils, the engine will skip when your done. Make sure you can spin the fan by hand some clutchs fail and stick on full all the time giving you excessive noise and possible vibration at high rpm, if the fan turns and doess't wobble I wouldn't worry about it, they tend to be a little nosiey when first started up cold, after the engine is run for a few min and generates some heat the fan should calm down and act normal.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts