Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F350 Drivers, Tired of crappy ride? The FIX

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Well I did ACDelco shocks when I got the trucks, as the old yellow monroes were blown out, no bushings, and just making all sorts of sounds. Well the Delcos did no better, ride sucked, truck was so bouncy it wasnt funny, and I put up with caus its a 1 ton solid axle truck this is just how they ride. Well 4 years later I am restoring the truck as you all might have seen, and it looks good, but still rides so bad I dont want to drive it, just sell it. Well my buddy with a 94 F150 bought some Bilsteins and I put em on for him. He said the truck never rode better. Well I got to thinking my Bronk already rides good, with new stock shocks, so I might as well put the Bilsteins on the F350. HOLY COW, the difference is night and day. The truck rides smooth and the bouncy ride is gone. Just goin up my driveway I noticed a difference(its gravel with pot holes) Well I got them from a company through work for like 61 bucks each. The Delcos were still good, but the back bushings are gone and there pritty rotted. Well Im just super HAPPY that the truck finally rides great. Here are some pics.

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Last edited:
Michigan
I definatly need new shocks! My truck still bounces a little when u hit the brakes real hard.. U get em from autozone?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You're just now hopping on the Bilstein wagon...I'm disappointed. I feel I don't know who you are.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Na got em from WorldPac through work. I saw them online for like 68 each. Ill get you link later for the site.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea my 2" lift shocks for bronk are shorter fully extended, then the stock f350 ones when they are on the truck. F350 front shocks are eye to eye vs stud to eye. I would have had shipping ontop of the price. I had no shipping.

This is where I found the Bilsteins the cheapist I could.
http://www.truckspring.com/

Yea my 2" lift shocks for bronk are shorter fully extended, then the stock f350 ones when they are on the truck. F350 front shocks are eye to eye vs stud to eye. I would have had shipping ontop of the price. I had no shipping.

Then that's a deal.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea its nice working at an independent auto shop. I can get parts from the stores were use for, super cheap, no shipping, it all gets delivered. And I can get for any car vs if you were working at a dealer, and all u can get is factory stuff.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I guess I was just whistling dixie when I made all the posts about how I loved my new Bilstein 5100s :rofl2: OLD NEWS!!! smilieloser

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
id have a hard time spendin that much on shocks! but im just a cheap bast**d. might have to try'm tho my 25HD does the same thing real ruff ride

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i spent 60 ish on shocks. one time. dont even remember the brand now, it was autozones heavy duty brand.

Bam i think id blown em out in 6 months.

WHen i removed the old ones . 2 wouldnt compress, one was bent. and the other, had no resitance in the motion.

So ill be upgrading soon, but can they handle MY ABUSE?

Ride Bad with AC Delcos cause its your trucks way of saying GET THE CHEVY PARTS OFF ME!

...can they handle MY ABUSE?
I don't know what you do and I haven't kept up with all that stuff both. :/
I can tell you Bilstiens were the hot thing for the Baja 1000 back ~30
years ago tho. :) Now they have a lot high dollar of competitors for that
market.

-------------------------

What I did on my '75 ~33 years ago was install dual shocks all around. :)
That plus getting stiffer front springs and camper shell did the trick on
the 2wd. At least it quit dancing sideways on the high speed dirt roads. :)

Since then have went to singled-up Rancho 5000's and they aren't as
effective as the dual shocks were, but the Ranchos are plenty for my
needs now.

Alvin in AZ

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea id say they would handle your abuse. Skan, I didnt listen to you lol, your truck dont see bumps bigger then speed bumps. LOL. My F150 lifted with 100 buck(for 4) ProComp shocks. The F150 still rode better then the F350 with the Bilsteins. Drove it to the girls house, and then to go shopping. Yea I love the way it rides. It rode the same with the Delcos as the blown out monroes.

I still have the original shocks in my truck. 214k and still no excessive bouce

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dumb question...but when ordering shocks for lifted vehicles, what's the proper protocol for getting the right shocks. Take measurements for full compression and full extension? Then what? If you don't have the ability to flex out, and can only measure eye to eye at ride height, is that good enough?

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
When I ordered my Bilsteins, they had them listed by application... Something like:

80-96 F150, Bronco w/ 4" lift
80-96 F150, Bronco w/ 6" lift

etc etc. You get the idea. I think it depends on the manufacturer and if the shocks are intended for use on off-road vehicles, like the 5100s

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts