Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F-250 4x4 on 44's steering pump issues

dunnboomer

dunnboomer
Iowa
I just got a 1978 F-250 4x4 with 11" of lift on 44x18.5 super swampers that the guy I got it from says keeps blowing steering pumps, 3 so far,so I,m wondering if there's a more heavy duty one I can try out there? I don't really want to spend the cash on hydro assist if I can help it

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Define blowing???????? Blowing hoses off, cracking the pump, burning out the pump, etc. That much tire is alot to ask of a stock steering pump on the street, much less if it's used offroad. The saginaw upgrade could probably do some good...but I'd really like to know what constitutes to a 'blown pump'. Maybe all you need is some extra capacity and/or a cooler.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
In my experience the pumps are real sensitive to overfilling, too. Just something else to watch for as you tackle this problem.

Ford's Plastic pump is prone to fail because people don't use F-Type ATF.

My suggestion: Go with a saginaw

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Saginaw like everyone said.

A Saginaw pump will work better but it won't be the answer. With those tires hydro assist is the way to go. Check the frame over real good around the steering box there may be cracks, hydro assist will relieve most of the stress in that area.

dunnboomer

dunnboomer
Iowa
steering problems on 44" tires solved

started with a saginaw, worked well for 3 weeks, blew a hose, went with hydro assist, man what a difference, time to go wheelin'. Thank you all

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts