Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

exhaust upgrade???

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
so Im thinking Im gonna just re-do the exhaust on my own... here is my plan Im looking for critique good or bad is welcome lol.... where the cat bolts to the flange Im just gonna unbolt it weld me two pieces of 18-20 inch pipe to that on the back of the pipe weld me a dual in dual out flowmaster 44 series and on the back of that just dump it down... that will put me about the middle of my bed and keep it far enough away from my rear axle to avoid getting it too hot... sound like a decent idea? I'll only have about $150 total in it and it will be "true dual" I wanna know what you guys think?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Have someone at a muffler shop do it.. It'll be much better quality and be better looking/sounding especially if they use mandrel bent pipes.. Not that wrinkle bend junk!

Pass on the choke.. Err flowmaster... They're garbage sound decent but are garbage...

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
yeah Im gonna go by the muffler shop Monday but the only problem is I live in a small remote part of Oklahoma and there's only one shop within 40-50 miles... so if they don't quote me a decent price Im pretty much stuck... what about the setup idea? it sound worth a cap or no good?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Flowmaster isn't junk, that's just a wives tale that guys continue to perpetrate because they like to show how many other brands they know about. It makes them send like they know more about exhaust. If there is one brand I would stay away from, it would be Magnaflow. My friend's dad owns a muffler shop and says they have a steel quality problem, and they rust out very quickly.

Catalytic converters are legally required by federal law, so I wouldn't advise removing it completely.

I have a Flowmaster Super 44 on my 5.4L and it sounds wonderful. I'd recommend it all day long. It is a single in, dual out for the fake dual exhaust.

Ryan

emtzach

i get paid to do this
I bought my truck with duel pipes off the cat that dump out in front of the rear wheels looks good and the sound is perfect. only loud over 3000 other than that it sounds quiet 2002 f150 5.4l oh and I like the idea just make sure to put down spouts as even far away the heat will creap up on plastic and rubber components causing them to dry rot

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
Im not really worried about the legal part of the cat cause i live in po-dunk Oklahoma they're more worried about meth heads than someone's exhaust. unless it's super loud then they'll be all over you lol I priced a 50 series dual in dual out at autozone earlier it's gonna run me $131 if i remember right... Im set on doing it myself it's just how i was raised... so as soon as i get it all done i will post clips of the sound and pics

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
My concern isn't a citation. In Missouri when you get your vehicle inspected every blue moon, they at least visually inspect that a catalytic converter is present. You probably ought not go without one.

Ryan

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
that's the great thing about the great state of Oklahoma is they passed a law a few years back where they don't do inspection stickers or anything like that.... could just gut it lol

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I wouldn't just completely 'gut' it, that would really decrease flow of the exhaust. If you were to do that, you would want to run a pipe through the gutted cat and weld it into place so you visually have a cat. But you wouldn't want to do that because having a cat is required.

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
if no emmissions at all in Oklahoma... then rip the cat off.. put a piece of pipe in place.. it's not a huge deal if no emmissions testing..

yeah yeah yeah, "it's a federal offense to remove and EPA regulated equipment"

but if they dont check for it, they'll never know.. my EGR and Smog pump are all gone... and i still have emissions testing, they look to see if there is a cat, then stick a sniffer up the tail pipe and test it..

no visual inspection... like 90 of Tennessee's 96(i think) counties dont even have emmissions testing..

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17637/10002/-1
this is the muffler i think Im going with due to budget restrictions... Im gonna start right after the o2 sensor where the cat bolts on. my New question is this considered true dual exhaust since only one muffler? it'll have 2 pipes all the way from head to tail... just don't know if only having one muffler throws me out of the true dual category??

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
what is really true dual..

where the exhaust from each manifold never touches each other..

so you'd be out...

but dont be bothered with that..

by doing this, you will equalize the exhaust pressures, which in turn will be better sounding IMO...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Usually an X pipe or an H pipe is better performing and provides more velocity anyway. It's fun to say you have true dual exhaust, but don't get hung on it!

Ryan

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
i see... well it'd still be better than how they choke it into one then back to two.... i never really got that i mean why even have two tailpipes that way? all your restriction is right where it goes to one anyways... I'll probably even keep stock tails or dump it? still unsure

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts