Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Everybody, meet Thomas...

I run with scissors.
Why is this truck named Thomas? I brought the whole family with me to buy this truck, and when I asked my two oldest kids (5 years old) what we should name this truck, they each said Thomas. I'm guessing maybe the color reminds them of Thomas the Tank Engine who they watch nonstop.

This '68 F100 is the first bumpside I've ever owned, and once running good and on the street it will be the oldest truck I've ever had. So far I really like this old truck even though I haven't done anything with it yet... it's still sitting on the trailer. It started life with a 360 and manual, but now has a 400 and an auto. I have a couple of 460's laying around, so I may swap one of them in if I don't like the 400 much.

Also, unhooking the trailer from my Suburban was the first time using my new trailer jack with much weight on the trailer... wow, talk about awesome! Lifting the trailer off the ball with the truck on the trailer required no more effort than lifting just an empty trailer!

IMG_20120124_142051.jpg

IMG_20120124_142103.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
With a jack like that, you shouldn't have to struggle, at least on a trailer that size. On a bigger gooseneck, you can get a little bit of a workout...Nice rig to work with though!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Nice truck! I like the trailer too YelloThumbUp

I run with scissors.
Thanks everyone for the comments! I tried to get the 400 fired up today to drive Thomas off the trailer and into the garage, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be easy start and it's quite cold working outside. I think that it would be better to gear my efforts toward swapping in one of my 460's than mess with the 400. I've search some on the swap, but didn't find anything about which motor mounts to use. I'll have to search again when I have more time.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You can do some easy mods with that 400 and get some surprising power...:wasntme:

I run with scissors.
You can do some easy mods with that 400 and get some surprising power...:wasntme:

Ok, I had some time to mess with this... and something is wrong in the 400 that I don't really want to deal with, especially since I have a good running 460 to put in it.

One of the cylinders is puffing a fuel/air mixture out of the carb, and it likes to catch on fire. My kids thought it was funny, but I wasn't so amused.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts