Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Equalizer?

I own a 1985 F350 Dually. I bought this truck bout a year and a half ago.
The truck backfired ran rough ect. but price was great so I bought it..I live in california so it had too be smogged... I took it a garage and was told it needed tuned up carb. rebuilt, and maybe a timing belt.. mind you this was a local garage in bussiness 27 yrs.. ok how much? 1600 dollars ... ok git ere Done...

well after all ths work it passed smog BUT, still ran rough and back fired.. Come too find outs months later the Real problem was "no Equalizer"

my 460 has Headers and dual exhausts, these older Fords require a small pipe welded in before the mufflers too equalize exhaust pressures within the engine.

Once this was welded in the truck has ran great ever since..

S0 when you up grade these old fords Remember E#qualize them as well..

As always

Dawg

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
interesting i agree with what you say no dought about it,but on my 79 4x4 i had to run the duals down the passenger side.the pipes are welded together to prevent rattles.there is realy no way to do this on my setup but i have no issues like this 460 runs strong & smooth,everything is fresh,no smog.ill keep it in mind tho just in case.thanks for the info.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
just dont see how that is..

my 82 i had.. had a 302 in it.. true duals.. no where did the pipes ever cross exhaust paths... ran perfect.

87... same way.. but has a 71 351C in it. doesnt have issues..

primetime

sawmill slave
Yeah, something isn`t jiving here.
My 86 F-250 had a 460 with dual exhaust leading into a single muffler. I cut that off and jammed a glasspack on each pipe and it ran fine.
I`ve also put true duals on every 80-96 I`ve had (302, 351, 460, diesel), and they`ve been fine.
I`ve had some "mechanics" tell me that "Fords need backpressure to run right, so you can`t put dual exhaust on them." Really? My experience says probably not.
I have to think that the equalizer aka h-pipe, x-pipe, made the carb or the ignition tune optimal.
Also, you can get side by side x-pipes that work in trucks that run both pipes down the same side. Summit has one under their house brand, although I`m sure there is better quality stuff out there.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
dont know what too tell ya fellas but ...after that pipe bridged my exhausts it stopped it from backfiring when i let ott the gas... maybe its because of all the smog crap here in calif

I'm pretty sure it wasn't backfiring. The exhaust pops and crackles a bit when getting out of the throttle on the trucks. But what do I know

Fellro

Staff member
Is the popping in the intaker, or exhaust, and how loud? If it sounds king of like a shotgun blast, that is backfiring, but a "cackling" is normal. The equalizer tube can not fix an actual backfire condition by itself. Backfire is caused by excess fuel in the exhaust or ignition at the wrong time will cause a backfire in the intake.

Ford Truck Articles