Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

engine rotates but wont crank

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
Ok so I finally got my 302 put back in my truck and everything hooked up and it won't crank..I have a new msd igniton in it and its gettin spark from the coil but not delivering it to the plugs...I have ohmed out everything and its all ok...I don't know what's wrong..the only thing I can think of is that the distributor is one tooth off...need help please.

Crank ...is when the starter turns the engine internals over

Won't fire : won't fire is when the engine won't fire up with fuel/air/compression.

Does the coil have 12 volts to it or did you run power to it using the ignition switch circuit ?

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
The coil is hooked to the ignition box and the box is hooked directly to the battery..and I'm not sure about the fuel...I hit it with starting fluid and it still won't even stumble start it just keeps turnin over

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Well if there is no spark to the plugs then fuel is probably not the issue. That's why nothing happens when you spray starting fluid. Bad MSD box? Weren't they having an issue lately?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Ok so I finally got my 302 put back in my truck and everything hooked up and it won't crank..I have a new msd igniton in it and its gettin spark from the coil but not delivering it to the plugs...I have ohmed out everything and its all ok...I don't know what's wrong..the only thing I can think of is that the distributor is one tooth off...need help please.

sounds to me like a fuel issue...

How? ..................

If it won't hit with the ether then you're most likely not getting fire IMO... you get fire at the coil so what about at the distributor?

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
I have an msd probillit vaccum advanced distributor..6al box and blaster 2 coil...the coil is sending the spark but its not going to the plugs...and there are no cracks in the cap

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
Is there a problem with the wire from the cap to the coil?What condition is the rotor in?See any hot spots or shorts inside the distributor(arcing)?Are you satisfied that you have a full 12v going to the coil,and is everything grounded?Not trying to be funny here,just basics.Are you satisfied that all is in time,and the distibutor is turning?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Not too long ago, my Brother in law had trouble with a Brand New defective MSD GM distributor in his 350 and it had the same problem. Not to say that is the case, but something to keep in mind.

msd good

Trying to remember how mine is wired, I think the MSD is wired through the coil not distrib, so that would mean since you have spark at the coil the msd box and coil are good but the distrib won't send spark thru the cap so it is the distrib or cap that is the problem, pretty sure. Chech you distrib wire connections first. Good luck. Try a factory distrib if you have one!:hammer:

Fellro

Staff member
If the coil is kicking out a high voltage, and it isn't getting through to the plugs, the only possibilities are bad coil wire, bad cap, bad rotor, or the distributor is not turning. May I ask how you have verified there is spark from the coil, but not at the plugs? Also, be certain the rotor actually connects from the distributor button to the blade where it arcs across to the cap terminal. I have had one pull a trick of being bad, the disconnection was under the plastic that kept it in place.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is the dizzy potentially 180* off?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
He would still get spark but at the wrong time.

Fellro

Staff member
it would pop through the intake. If it was somewhere in between, it may not pop at all. That is part of why I would like to know how the spark or lack thereof has been proven. It helps to diagnose a bit more.

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
I took the cap off and could see where it was sparking to the button..then I pulled a plug and grounded it and turned the motor over and no spark from the plug

Fellro

Staff member
That isn't a real effective way to test for spark, it is hard to be sure the plug was actually grounding. A spark tester would be better. Also, there is no guarantee the cap was "sparking to the rotor" since it is in full contact, and will leave a rub mark. If it is truly arcing across, that isn't a good thing...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts