Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

engine performance

hey guys just wondering i have a 79 f250 with a 400ci 6.6l i was wondering what i could do to the engine to make it a lil more snotty i allready have a edelbrok intake manafold and a 600 cfm carb i was thinking on the lines of a cam and heads? thanks

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Straight up timing...a cam with around .500" of lift, and that 4bbl setup isn't doing anything if you don't let the engine breathe...so get a set of headers. As for heads...you're pretty limited.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yessir I do. There is lots that can be done for a mild to moderate build and for less than 3k you can wind up with 350-400rwhp and 450-500rwtq. Either have your heads worked, or there are a few aftermarket heads. The wilder you get with the heads, the wilder the cam and pistons can become. But I'd say those numbers are about the limit for a 400 besides strokers...but I don't really think a stroker is logical financially in a 400. Once you start talking strokers, I'd swap to a 460, but before that point, the 400 can be made respectable and comparable to 460.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Aussie heads are a good compromise between stock and aluminium.

ok yeah i wasent looking to swap it the motor runs perfect nvr had a problem with the motor just looking to do some stuff needs a little more power to turn the 38" you no but deff will call up tim and figure out wat to do

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Quick question...whats the gearing like in your truck with 38's? If you're anything less than 4.88's...I'd bet your problem is more gearing than engine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
3.73's aren't stock, so they woulda had to have been swapped. And if they are in fact 3.73's, that's your problem. However, if you do actually 3.73's, you won't be revving that high with 38's...at 70mph, you're talking 2300 rpm...and typically that's the rpm you're looking for at 55mph.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Check for the axle tag, post what you find, check the warranty plate, post what you find...pull the diff cover count teeth and divide...jack the rear end spin on tire two full rotations if it's an open rear and count the number of times the dshaft spins.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Isn't your video essentially the same thing as my last suggestion???? I still haven't had a chance to watch the vid. By your description, the only difference sounds like you're spinng the dshaft and counting tire revolution(s) and I'm spinning the tire counting dshaft revolutions.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yeah, but i say in the video you can do either.... but for me... if i spin the tire instead of the driveshaft it doesnt count right, but spinning the drive shaft for some reason is always dead on...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts