Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

engine not running well at all...:(

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so i have had a check engine light on for a little bit and ive been trying to slowly fix it with no luck. :rotz: i scanned the codes again today about 5 minutes ago and these are the codes i am getting. 1 or 2 of the codes are new codes since the last time i scanned it.....

2 digit codes KOEO

21 ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.
24 ACT sensor out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.
67 Neutral safety circuit failure.
A/C circuit was on during KOER Self-Test.
84 EGR Vacuum Solenoid circuit failure.

the codes 21, 24 are new now...i actually scanned the truck about 2 weeks ago and it was only three codes 24,67,84 the ECT one is newer and the ACT one is new within the past month or so... for the code 84 i got a vacuum solenoid out of the junkyard and thought that might fix that code but it didnt....i need some help with this. my engine is having multiple random misfires and not getting that great of mileage (down from the 13mpg it usually gets....) im going to see if i can test the sensors in a bit and see what i can find. [confused] :waa:

(edit) i replaced the ECT sensor about 3-4 years ago and the ACT sensor was replaced 2 years ago just to give a background on those sensors. and i know the code 67 is nothing because i didnt have the clutch pushed in

Last edited:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
An "AllDataDIY subscription is invalueable in determining these problems. They have a great troubleshooting guide!!!

I would back probe the connectors and make sure you are getting 5v on the wires from the computer. I suspect a computer problem, but double check!!!

While you're under the hood remove and clean "ALL" your grounds then check again!!!

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I could only go back to 1992 but here is the PPT for a code 84. IF your EVR circuit is shorted on the ground side it can cause the egr to open uncommanded causing the engine to run bad. It's just a thought. The 21 and 24 could be it wasn't up to operating temp when scaned thats all. If the truck was warmed up when scaned i'd be looking into the ECT sensor, that'll give you some drivability issues.

DN10 SERVICE CODE 84/558:
CHECK RESISTANCE OF EVR SOLENOID
Service Code 84/558 indicates a failure in the EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) solenoid circuit.

Possible causes:

Damaged EVR solenoid
Open harness
Shorted harness
Damaged processor
Key off.
Disconnect EVR solenoid.
Measure solenoid resistance.
Is resistance within specification per the following chart?

Engine Resistance Specification
7.5L 100 to 135 ohms
All Others 20 to 70 ohms

Yes No
GO to DN11 . REPLACE EVR solenoid assembly. RERUN Quick Test.

DN11 CHECK VPWR CIRCUIT VOLTAGE
Key on, engine off.
EVR solenoid disconnected.
Measure voltage between battery negative post and VPWR circuit at the EVR solenoid vehicle harness connector.
Is voltage greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes No
GO to DN12 . SERVICE open circuit. RECONNECT EVR solenoid. RERUN Quick Test.

DN12 CHECK EVR CIRCUIT CONTINUITY
Key off.
Disconnect processor 60 pin connector. Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Install breakout box, leave processor disconnected.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 33 at the breakout box and EVR circuit at the EVR solenoid vehicle harness connector.
Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DN13 . SERVICE open circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test.

DN13 CHECK EVR CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO POWER OR GROUND
Key off.
Breakout box installed, processor disconnected.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 33 and Test Pins 37 and 57 at the breakout box.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 33 and Test Pin 40, 46 and 60 at the breakout box.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
REPLACE processor. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT EVR solenoid. RERUN Quick Test. SERVICE short circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test. If code is repeated, REPLACE EVR solenoid.

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so i did a bit of work on the truck today. i tinkered around for a bit replacing a few parts here and there. i did rescan the codes after it was warmed up...and you were right the ECT and ACT codes were just from not being warmed up. so that makes me feel a LOT better. now onto the EGR code. im going to be testing it tomorrow night hopefully. ill be checking the vscuum solenoid, the egr solenoid, wires and so on. ill keep an update on it. thanks a lot everyone!

Found this thread with Google. :)
Trying to figure out what the heck a DN10 was. LOL :)
"Pinpoint Test Procedure" in my 1991 E/E-D, turns out. :)

Anyway, the resistance values are different for '91 than for '92.
"it's a ford thing ;)"
1991 light truck...
4.9L and 5.8L (under 8500 lbs) = 20 to 45 ohms
7.5L = 100 to 135 ohms
All Others = 30 to 70 ohms

That's all. :)
Well, except for...

Hey Frank, is it too early for an update? ;)

Alvin in AZ
ps- Oh yeah. Great job on the answer Kuzmen! :)

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
Found this thread with Google. :)
Trying to figure out what the heck a DN10 was. LOL :)
"Pinpoint Test Procedure" in my 1991 E/E-D, turns out. :)

Anyway, the resistance values are different for '91 than for '92.
"it's a ford thing ;)"
1991 light truck...
4.9L and 5.8L (under 8500 lbs) = 20 to 45 ohms
7.5L = 100 to 135 ohms
All Others = 30 to 70 ohms

That's all. :)
Well, except for...

Hey Frank, is it too early for an update? ;)

Alvin in AZ
ps- Oh yeah. Great job on the answer Kuzmen! :)

haha talk about a thread digger haha.

thanks for the info! its actually fixed a while ago.

haha talk about a thread digger haha.
{Google! dug it up... Ford 84 DN10}
thanks for the info! its actually fixed a while ago.
Yeah but.
FiNgured that for my self, thank you very much. ;)
But what about an update? What did you find?
No fair putting follow-up information in a different thread. ;)

Butthead in AZ
ps- I got an 84 code... Thinking it might be from the fact that
I stuck an "above 8500#" manual EEC in the E4od Bronco but
the EVR etc is still the "under 8500#" Bronco stuff. :)
pps- I got an old thread that needs updating too! LOL :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts