Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Engine identification

I have a 67 Ford F100 Ranger camper special, which sat for over 10 years the owner had passed away, it was in a carport it's in excellent shape it has 113,000 original miles on it and it is a one owner truck. When he bought it new he took it down and had the gas tanks taken out of it and switched it to propane. Hopefully next week I'll get it over to my garage so I can put some batteries in it and bleed the propane system and fire it up. I'm very experienced with that sort of thing, but I don't know if this thing has the original, I believe would have been a 360 or whether it's got a 390 in it. Unfortunately his wife is suffering from a very bad case of dementia, so I really can't ask anybody any questions about the truck. Can somebody tell me how I identify that engine please. Also should I just get it running and sell it as a barn find and not clean it up, or completely detail it out and fix the brakes and everything and put it up for sale that way. I've already messed around with some little spots on the paint job in the thing will buff out and look excellent. The interior is almost perfect on it . What do you all think about that, your comments are more than welcome. Thanks again, jeff.

Fellro

Staff member
Unfortunately stroke is the only difference between them, there really isn't any visual cues to tell the difference.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Looks like the only V-8 engine options for light duty trucks was 2 versions of the 352. IF it is the original engine, the 4th digit in the VIN would be a "Y" for the 352 or an "8" for a low-compression version of the 352.

Looks like the only V-8 engine options for light duty trucks was 2 versions of the 352. IF it is the original engine, the 4th digit in the VIN would be a "Y" for the 352 or an "8" for a low-compression version of the 352.
Okay I will check the VIN number don't know if I'll get to it tomorrow or not maybe I think I might be moving it tomorrow anyhow. Doesn't know why block have the exhaust pipe come around the front of the engine I thought my 1965 3/4-ton Ford it had the Y block 350 too in it and the exhaust pipe came around the front of the engine and then went to the other exhaust manifold. Unless of course I'm losing my mind it's been a while since I owned one of those! Thank you very much for your information and I'll let you know what the VIN number has in the store.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts