Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Enamel or BC/CC paint

Enamel or BC/CC

• Enamel

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • BC/CC

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
Just a quick poll to see what everyone's opinion is for paint on our 30+ year old trucks. Would most paint them with the original enamel paint to look really original OR use BC/CC that is easier to take care of but has a somewhat "plastic" look to the finish. Interested in your opinions!

What colour ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
BC/CC...as much as I like older things, the new paint technology is much better.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
BC/CC...as much as I like older things, the new paint technology is much better.

Not to mention cheaper and allot less smelly....

2 of the hardest colours to choose the TYPE of paint for a truck

Base coat clear coat can be a pain to touch up.

and since Silver is going on it ..... Oooh. I am in the same predicament.. My whole truck is silver and it needs paint.

They used some kind of acrylic enamel back in 1986 (last paint job) that seemed to oxidize badly after 5 years.

I have been talking to a guy at a body shop supply place in Red Deer and a a couple of painters in town here.

I may go with Glazerit this time.
BC/CC ...with colour blended clear for a deep looking finish and less noticeable scratches from

I have some Dupont green and yellow paint here for my stripes but when I bought that I was still unsure when the truck will be painted.

I would suggest checking out some auto painting sites to get the Pro's and con's of certain paint.

At least you are using the best silver Code V (Medium silver met)

Mil1ion, my painter is going to use PPG's Deltron line as PPG was the only one I could find the EXACT color code / chip matches to the original, just in BC/CC rather than enamel. I posted the poll just to see what others would like / use. PS: i hope / think they have the silver / grey peeling issues of the 80's resolved by now ;)

Last edited:

RocketScience

Alleged Recruiter
A little off topic and a bit of a rant but...

It is better in the sense that it is easier to apply, has a higher initial gloss, and is easier to repair, but they do not have the 'longevity' of the older systems, and nor do they need it nowadays, as it's all about polishing your apples.

In my previous life, I was co-owner of one of the largest architectural metal and glass subcontractors on the west coast. Our in-house paint department rivaled that of a typical progressive body shop, Binks downdraft spray booths and all. If there was one thing unique to our industry was that we applied both automotive and industrial coatings. Everything from Deltron, Delstar, Centari, Polane, Tnemec, etc., to the high end fluoropolymers like Kynar and Duranar.

If there was one thing I concluded about modern automotive paint systems, was that they are no where near as long lasting as the old alkyd paints of times past. And if you don't believe me, go park that Beamer with the badass $4000.00 BC/CC paint job out next to that old Studebaker that's already been sittin' out in the pasture for 50 years. Come back in another fifty years and tell me which one still has paint on it. It won't be the Beamer.

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
My truck's original color was the metallic option. When I have it repainted (at this point in my next life. ;-) I would want it to be the original. You can't get it in California anymore, but I believe Colorado has metallic auto paint ?..
Oh, and belated Happy New Year guys!
Dak

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
A little off topic and a bit of a rant but...

It is better in the sense that it is easier to apply, has a higher initial gloss, and is easier to repair, but they do not have the 'longevity' of the older systems, and nor do they need it nowadays, as it's all about polishing your apples.

In my previous life, I was co-owner of one of the largest architectural metal and glass subcontractors on the west coast. Our in-house paint department rivaled that of a typical progressive body shop, Binks downdraft spray booths and all. If there was one thing unique to our industry was that we applied both automotive and industrial coatings. Everything from Deltron, Delstar, Centari, Polane, Tnemec, etc., to the high end fluoropolymers like Kynar and Duranar.

If there was one thing I concluded about modern automotive paint systems, was that they are no where near as long lasting as the old alkyd paints of times past. And if you don't believe me, go park that Beamer with the badass $4000.00 BC/CC paint job out next to that old Studebaker that's already been sittin' out in the pasture for 50 years. Come back in another fifty years and tell me which one still has paint on it. It won't be the Beamer.

You have your opinion, I have mine. The old paints/prosess afforded none or minimal UV protection...not to mention that with BC/CC after a long period of time you can wet sand the clear with say 2000 grit and you've got a new finish. If $4000 gets you a badass paint job then I guess I'm really out of touch. Remember the GM fiasco of the late 70's trucks?....you don't see that anymore...better overall processes today...and I'll have no problem looking at the paint of my 05 in fifty years...paint will still be on looking good..providing I was to keep it that long...again..just my opinion.

RocketScience

Alleged Recruiter
You have your opinion, I have mine. The old paints/prosess afforded none or minimal UV protection...not to mention that with BC/CC after a long period of time you can wet sand the clear with say 2000 grit and you've got a new finish. If $4000 gets you a badass paint job then I guess I'm really out of touch. Remember the GM fiasco of the late 70's trucks?....you don't see that anymore...better overall processes today...and I'll have no problem looking at the paint of my 05 in fifty years...paint will still be on looking good..providing I was to keep it that long...again..just my opinion.
Sorry if you took my rant as an assault on you, it was not, merely an observation based on experiences.

I will say this however, the problems in factory applied automotive finishes like your GM fiasco are hardly rare, or over. Other fiasco's include Chrysler's in the late 80's, GM again in the mid-90's, Honda's in the early 00's, and the current Lexus fiasco with their new super dooper water borne paint system, for which they'll all have to go to eventually (if they haven't already).

There is a reason they still recommend alkyd enamels for farm and construction equipment, and it ain't necessarily costs. :)

kustomizingkid, no problem taking care of the paint here! lol My '96 F150 4x4 reg. cab long box, Silver CC metallic looks like it came off the show room floor (except for the small rust area on top of the wheel housing, aarrhhgg). I try to wax/ polish my vehicles twice a year, once in the spring after the roads have been washed of salt and again in the fall, preparing for the salty winters (gotta love IOWA winters...). Anyway, my '78 Crew will be a pavement princess/ show truck so it will receive the utmost care it deserves.
BTW: my door panels look AWESOME - i followed your recommendations with SEM products - they look better than new! Thanks!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts