Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

electronic ignition to points

During the cold war with the possibility of a TND happening aka: Holocaust ..

My mother said that if it happens.. "The living will envy the dead"

That plugs in where? What year model truck the one in the OP??

Have you gotten a different distributor yet?

You have basically 3 options for ignition.

1. Stock D/S

2. Points

3. Aftermarket MSD, Mallory, Jacobs, etc..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Icm=ignition control module aka "brain box".

Shouldnt have to do anything with it with points. No external control should be needed. I believe with points all ya need is juice from the coil....

It's a 77 with a 400, ok so instead of plugging it into the harness I guess I can just wire it straight to the coil with a resistor? I found a distributor for a 73 f-100 460 on closeout for $20 that I'll keep around just in case.

Correct, took me a minute to remember l haven't had to think in about a year. Lol

And yes if he wants to go completely mechanical than points are his best bet; And that answer has already been posted..

There is one last option, But the $$ factor is astronomical; A mechanical injection system ala 50's Vete's...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pKdvRXCvixB5o6uLg&sig2=Mjh5ws1XeLpq4OSh5TS4hw

See also

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1010_what_you_need_to_know_about_mechanical_fuel_injection/viewall.html

Last edited:

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
To each their own...but hacking up a reliable ignition system (duraspark) to put in one that hasnt even been used on a lawnmower since 1985 or so because of the 1 in 100000000000 chance that a metor will hit the earth is kinda ridculious.

But....it is your truck :)

Agreed I'd leave the dura spark alone also, and just carry a points distributor and some wire if l that worried about it..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You do realize that would mean putting a scum sucking companies product on your magnificent Ford?...I was tempted by that route, but am going with an MSD coil (OEM look) and 6AL box....I would keep the Duraspark.

I was looking at that too Duncan, want a better spark, seems that I have to set the timing off the 8 degrees quite a bit to prevent it from knocking and pinging. (I use Chevron gas, none of that cheap brand). Now it doesn't have the power. I've adjusted the fuel /air with a vacuum gauge. Do you think it might be the mechanical advance?

I replaced the factory distributor with a HEI I found on Ebay for about $50. It's a billet housing with GM internals and 1 wire hook up. Sure did clean up the engine compartment and the engine runs better!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts