Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Electric Choke

I'm sure you guys will regret i ever came on board. I've asked a trillion questions already and i'm sure you're getting tired of me asking. I'm trying to redo everything on this truck and i have very little knowledge.

I'm not sure what kind of carb i have but i do know it is a 2bbl. It does have a manual choke and i would like to replace it with an electric choke if you guys tell me it is worth it. I'm tired of trying to make so many adjustments to get it to run just right. I'll have it running perfect for a couple of days and then have to make changes again.

Any ideas??

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
First off, are you asking for help with your 2bbl, or if you should just go with a new carb. It has been my experience that some carbs are just beyond repair. If it were me, I'd say this would be a great time to upgrade to a 4bbl combo. It's better on gas due to smaller jets and it'll gain you about 15 hp. My personal preference is a Holley carb on top of an Eddy manifold. I don't think you can go wrong with any carb from Holley's 4150 series (that's all I run, 650cfm vac secondaries, electric choke). Then pick up an Eddy Performer intake and your set to go. People who say Holley carbs are harder to tune just don't know how to tune a carb, plus they are a little more power friendly due to them being wet tested and eddy being dry tested, so you have a more accurate cfm rating. I hope this helps. All my info was based on you having a 335 series engine due to the year in your username. If you have an FE or 385 series, I would recommend other intakes.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ive had lots of problems with electric chokes on my 390 mainly just floodin it out beyond belief both an edelbrock 600 and a carter 600. I got fed up with it and bought a 750 edelbrock with a manual choke but its a little big and dont like to bog like it should but in the higher rpms it runs great. to tune your carb get it runnin and screw your air screws in all the way then back out again 1 and a half turns or so and it should run fine. The way to test if you need a choke is start it in the cold and see if it will idle if it wont then ya do. If it does idle then ya dont need a choke. Also I run block heaters and it helps alot.

Chokes:

Sometimes the bi-metal strips inside the choke housing fatigue and fail
(Especially on Electric chokes)

Is this an out and out choke problem or possible linkage problem ?

The throttle rod on these carbs have a habit of wearing out and they are unrebuildable.

to check for leaky rod use an unlit propane torch and listen for engine run change

2150CarbFeatures1.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts