Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

EGR on 6.0 question?

Have an '04 F-350 with 145,000 miles and have been noticing a lot of anti freeze on the ground behind the engine. I was wondering if the EGR, which I have heard is notorious for going out on the 6.0, could be the reason for this. I have added antifreeze and water several times because the reservoir is low or empty but it never runs hot. Also wondering if this could affect the rough cold start and idle I have been dealing with? I also have a banks ram air kit installed with programmer and exhaust, if this could be causing a problem during cold starts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
just hang in there... It may be tomorrow before someone gives a good answer..

Look out for an answer from BlackSnapon he's a senior master tech for Ford. and has TONS of experience with 6.0's.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
The cooler is leaking into the engine, so its making it hard to start, there is also a tube under the turbo that leaks the coolant out also, so you have 2 probs. The tube leaking into the valley and the egr cooler leakin into the intake manifold. Blowing white smoke also? You havent had that changed yet? It is the most common prob with a 6.0 and is usually done at 100k

blacksnapon

Staff member
Sounds like the egr cooler hose under the turbo. Generally, when it goes bad, it leaks when the truck is just sitting. The leak will be evident on the back side of the engine.

The only hose I saw that was close to blue was attached to the turbo, and I couldnt tell it had ever leaked or was leaking and it is about 3 inches in diameter.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
To do yourself will take a few hrs, the turbo and turbo mount will have to come out.

blacksnapon

Staff member
They used to pay for turbo and pedestal removal, then someone posted on the Ford message boards "Hey, I can do it in 10 minutes!", then proceeded in explaining how he did it. Ford reduced the pay after that.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
They used to pay for turbo and pedestal removal, then someone posted on the Ford message boards "Hey, I can do it in 10 minutes!", then proceeded in explaining how he did it. Ford reduced the pay after that.

Yes I remember that, thats how I learned to do it. Looks harder than it is to change really.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts