Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

egr delete

think i'm going to delete my egr today, have spacers to make up for it. i read that it will make my truck ping, or can. what are the odds of it happening? its a 76 360 4x4 with auto. 2bbl motorcraft carb. the egr probably doesn't work and in my eyes is just a waste of space considering its emissons and will clean up the engine and make 2 less vacuum lines that i need to worry about. got rid of the rest of the ac lines today and one of the exhaust maifold.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Egr returns some exhaust gas to the intake mixture. That makes it not as volatile of a mixture. Timing is increased to increase throttle response and power. The timing increase is where the ping comes from.

blacksnapon

Staff member
what do you mean exactly?
the mixture makes the timing increase?
No, the timing is manually increased (with a human turning the distributor). To stop the ping, you must manually turn the distributor to retard the timing which reduces power and response. The egr valve fully functioning wont hurt anything.

The timing was 7. The egr stuff somebody filled in with what looks like silicone on one side and the others side was full of carbon or something so I just put a plate over the hole for the egr cable ad pulled the lines off

think i'm going to delete my egr today, have spacers to make up for it. i read that it will make my truck ping, or can. what are the odds of it happening? its a 76 360 4x4 with auto. 2bbl motorcraft carb. the egr probably doesn't work and in my eyes is just a waste of space considering its emissons and will clean up the engine and make 2 less vacuum lines that i need to worry about. got rid of the rest of the ac lines today and one of the exhaust maifold.

triple check your block off plate. not all seal well. There are a lot of post about the plates causing vacuum leaks. I had to make mine.. If the truck has a hesitation when you apply gas the EGR could be bad. You can always pull vacuum on it and test it. There is no harm in leaving it if it is functioning.
Yes you most likely will need to retard the timing a few degrees. IF not you may have some pinging. My truck idled 100 rpm higher after removal. I retarded the timing maybe 2 degrees. Never checked it with a light, Just moved the distributor counter clockwise.

its not functioning the thing was full of gasket maker on one side and the other was full of carbon build up so it was plugged up. i sealed up my plate with silicone gasket stuff before i put it on. because the one spacer i was going to use was for a different carb and wouldn't have worked out

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
triple check your block off plate. not all seal well. There are a lot of post about the plates causing vacuum leaks. I had to make mine.. If the truck has a hesitation when you apply gas the EGR could be bad. You can always pull vacuum on it and test it. There is no harm in leaving it if it is functioning.
Yes you most likely will need to retard the timing a few degrees. IF not you may have some pinging. My truck idled 100 rpm higher after removal. I retarded the timing maybe 2 degrees. Never checked it with a light, Just moved the distributor counter clockwise.

IS THAT WOOD?!??!!?

If so you gotta be freaking kidding!!

i'll probably make myself a wood one too. that way i can make it however thick i want it and can even customize it

i'll probably make myself a wood one too. that way i can make it however thick i want it and can even customize it

I was concerned about the exhaust gas from the manifold cooking the wood. When you have the OEM EGR plate off you will see what i am talking about. If memory serves me,, I used the original gasket which was sort of thick.

I use "air gap" intakes on other builds which eliminates this gas boiling issue completely but edelbrock does not offer it for the 400.

Not sure if you have a hardwoods supply house near to you. If you use something from Home Depot, It will fail.

chris

Yeah I know what your talking about. Is there a way to take and weld it up or maybe I could make an aluminum heat shield under the wood spacer. We have a bunch of hardwoods in the wood shop so I'm sure ill find something

Ford Truck Articles