Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

EFI Tech Info

Does anyone know of any good websites where you can download a manual or just information on checking all the sensors on an EFI engine? I have a 4x4 '87 F150 with a 302 EFI engine and 4-speed manual trans that has started acting up lately. I have to crank usually 3-4 times before it will stay running and then sometimes it idles bad, speeding up, slowing down, speeding up, slowing down. If you let it set and idle for a minute or so, it'll smooth out and does all right but the gas milage has really dropped off lately and with the price of gas, that really hurts the ol' wallet. It has never had anything just above idle since I've owned the truck, when you try to accelerate, it goes from idle to about 1500-1700 RPM when you just barely touch the throttle. I really need the proper readings for testing the sensors before I start trying to locate my problem.
Thanks for any help.

See here.. www.fordfuelinjection.com. First thing you need to do is pull the codes, this site has a proceedure for that but the short version is ground the STI wire, turn the key to run, and count the flashes on the check engine light.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Wow Bill that's an awesome link. I'm going to save that to my photobucket if you don't mind. I'll put a Subford watermark over it.

THANKS to you both. Two great sites. That's exactly what I was looking for. Now it's up to me to see if I can figure this thing out. Hope to work on it some next week. Be on the lookout for some more questions posted from me.
Thanks again, guys.

The INNOVA #3145 is a very good code reader and works great you might want to get one of these. But I find that the books code charts are wrong on some codes to some degree but all of the code charts on the Internet and after market shop manuals are wrong to some degree also. I think this is to save paper or web space. You can usually get by with these codes if you only run the KOEO test.
The only way I have found to interpret the codes (KOEO, CM and KOER) right is to look them up in the FORD factory shop manuals for the year of the car/truck.
These codes are found in Vol. "H" or "Engine/Emissions-Diagnosis" of the Shop Manual for the year of the truck.

Note:
The KOEO test is just a voltage test of all of the input sensors and the fuel pump relay. If voltages fall within the limits in the tables in the Computer they pass with an 11 or 111.

The CM is collection of codes of things that went wrong while driving. Continuous Memory Codes are erased from Continuous Memory if the original fault has not occurred in the last 80 warm-up cycles (40 cycles on some applications). These CM codes are the ones that I have found to be wrong sometimes in the charts. These can change somewhat from year to year.

The KOER test is an actuator test of solenoids and sensor responses. You cannot run this test without getting an 11 or 111 on the KOEO test as it would not mean anything.

The wiggle test is a test to find bad sensors, wiring and plugs with the engine not running.

The actuator test is to turn on all actuators and then you check each one to see if they are full on or operating with the engine not running.

The Engine balance test (for SFI engines only) will show the condition of each cylinder.

All five of these tests and the CM reading can be done with a paper clip or a reader like the INNOVA #3145. The instructions for running them can be found in the Ford shop manual Vol. "H" or "Engine/Emissions-Diagnosis" manual or the INNOVA #3145 manual.

If you want to practice reading codes with the CEL (MIL) click on this link and read below the video first:
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g91/subford/Hold all/?action=view&current=dadstruckcodes.flv

/

Ford Truck Articles