Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

EcoBoost mileage update

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Thanks Scott...this really has me interested. My magic number is 25mpg's hwy, so if it could happen I'd be game. I really think I'll need to take a couple test drives. Considering Chris' numbers on the hwy, I'd be a 2wd and opt for the highest gears available...so it would be close. Not to mention, most my driving is set at 70-75mph and go for 40 miles with minimal traffic.

There's something you'd have to change to get decent mileage out of a truck. You're pushing a barn-sized brick through the air, and the amount of extra energy to push it through the wind @ 75-80 vs. 60-65 is astounding.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
as a reference Ben, I have a 4.6 w 3.73 Supercab and 6.5 foot bed. I have gotten 22 mpg's with mainly highway driving. I currently am averaging 19.5-19.8 mpg's doing mixed driving (little more highway than city). I would think with the EB you could hit close to 24-25 mpg's highway.

I actually believe that. The 4.6 was always a very fuel efficient motor, especially compared to the 5.4. Don't know why the big difference, but it was always there. Marquis gets high 20's hwy (hit 30 a few times before the dang ethanol blends hit), high teens in in-town driving.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The magic number for my everyday commute (mixed congested highway and some city) is 17.5. That seems to be the final word on my truck.

As long as I can keep the turbos from spooling it's easy to hover around 20-21, but that only happens on long highway trips.

Has anyone seen what these EB engines get for mileage when towing a trailer above 6,000 lbs?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There's something you'd have to change to get decent mileage out of a truck. You're pushing a barn-sized brick through the air, and the amount of extra energy to push it through the wind @ 75-80 vs. 60-65 is astounding.

Yeah...as frustration relieved, and reality set in...I realized it was pipe dream. But that still didn't stop me from drooling over a couple at the lot today. Still, I wonder if the few hundred bucks a year in gas wouldn't be worth it. The 25mpg requirement is self-imposed...no restraints, I just think it's crazy to DD a rig 100+ miles a day and sink that kind of cash with no return.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
One piece of advice-- if you can do without the 6.5 bed, do without it. I've had my truck to the dealer a handful of times and they've all been related to the damned drivetrain. Different vibrations, clunks, etc. I've still got a vibration that they can't seem to figure out-- I think it's axle wrap. Seems to only affect some of the 6.5 guys, but not the 5.5 guys. The 6.5 bed has longer springs in the rear...

I much prefer having the longer bed but if I could do it again I'd get the 5.5 just to avoid all these damned headaches chasing vibrations.

Have you asked Vince about it yet? My truck used to do it and it was a common complaint on the long bed duallys and single 6.4 powered trucks.

You might be spot on with axle wrap, mine has not done it since I put air bags on it and keep them inflated to 20psi.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I find this thread interesting for a number of reasons. Some tax laws have changed under the Obama Administration in relation to company vehicles and personal mileage. You now have to pay taxes on personal mileage, and the way the law is written the worker gets the shaft. Standard mileage reimbursement has not changed and is more advantagous.

For the above stated reasons, I am seriously thinking about turning my company truck in and getting a clean 1 owner, or even new. To pay out I am thinking at $.55 a mile the vehicle would need to get between 17 and 20 to make it feasable. The eco boost and 4.6 are strong candidates. The requirements of the truck (personal) 4X4 and short bed. My driving is more country highway and interstate than town. Towing will be limited to nothing more than a 17 ft jon boat and or a couple of atv's.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I find this thread interesting for a number of reasons. Some tax laws have changed under the Obama Administration in relation to company vehicles and personal mileage. You now have to pay taxes on personal mileage, and the way the law is written the worker gets the shaft. Standard mileage reimbursement has not changed and is more advantagous.

For the above stated reasons, I am seriously thinking about turning my company truck in and getting a clean 1 owner, or even new. To pay out I am thinking at $.55 a mile the vehicle would need to get between 17 and 20 to make it feasable. The eco boost and 4.6 are strong candidates. The requirements of the truck (personal) 4X4 and short bed. My driving is more country highway and interstate than town. Towing will be limited to nothing more than a 17 ft jon boat and or a couple of atv's.
Can't say enough good stuff about this truck, EXCEPT for the driveline vibration. Hoping to get that fixed fairly soon.

isn't happiness a return? smilietease
Thats probably the ONLY way that I can justify DDing my truck. It truly makes me happy.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
isn't happiness a return? smilietease

I actually contemplated saying 'except for happiness', but didn't. Yes, that is a factor, but seeing as I've made a couple of rash decisions on new/CPO vehicles...alot is still up in the air, and I just want to find the best balance.

I just got back from a trip to the mountians in West Virginia towing my travel trailer that weighs 7058 dry. I probably had another 2000lbs of stuff and people. I have an XLT extended cab long bed 4X4 with HD tow and MAX payload. I got 8.9MPG towing a total of 425 miles and got 17.7 driving around the mountains without towing another 250 miles. I kept the speed towing between 65 - 70 and never above 60 without the trailer. I double checked the mileage listed on the trip with a calculator and they were both right on.
I was happy with those numbers considering I have the largest F150 you can get and can tow the most also.

Fellro

Staff member
Not a pickup but the Edge my mom picked up is riding around 27 much of the time...

Fellro

Staff member
You would never know it is a little 2.0.... No problem with get up and go.

Fellro

Staff member
She has around 70,000 on it already... It has had as high as low to mid 30's, and as low as mid 20's, all depending on how much is highway and the like. No trouble maintaining 70 on the interstate, does fine in the mountains too. She is still happy with it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The OL's MKT has been returning a steady 24-25 imp....so 20-21 USA.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts