Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E4OD transmission fluid change

460Fanatic

460Fanatic
Hello everyone,

I am planning on changing the transmission fluid in my 1990 Ford F250 7.5L with the E4OD. This is the original unit with 63k miles on it. To the best of my knowledge it has never been changed. It is my intention to change the fluid in the torque converter, pan, and cooler(s). Now, I have had some individuals warn me against doing this, claiming that it will likely lead to transmission failure. Something about detergents from the new oil and debris from the old mixing and causing problems. Is this something that I should be worried about? Thank you.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I change the trans fluid on way older transmissions all the time. No worries there. Just remember to get non synthetic ATF. Dex/MerconIII is the fluid of choice. Do not use Mercon V

460Fanatic

460Fanatic
Don't you mean Dex III/Mercon? I've been told that Mercon V is retroactively compatible with most of these older Ford transmissions which originally required Mercon.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea Dex3/Merc lol. They say that but I know a bunch of people that have put Merc 5 into older Ford transmissions and they died shortly after. I usually go to wmart and get the SuperTech ATF for like 11 a gallon.

460Fanatic

460Fanatic
Thank you for your input. I think I will get some Valvoline Dexron III/Mercon for it. I might also take this opportunity to install a large auxiliary cooler.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I have these on my E4OD/4R100(newer E4OD in my Super Duty)
$_3.JPG

This used to be like 89, maybe cheaper at other places. But they also have in aluminum.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Derale-Performance-Transmission-Cooling-Pan-Ford-E4OD-4R100-5R110-5R110W-/261347007194?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd97edada&vxp=mtr

Never use that gasket, always get the newer rubber metal one that comes stock on the Super Dutys

460Fanatic

460Fanatic
I have heard of those higher capacity cooling pans. However, they are a little too much for my budget right now. I have considered getting a stock 4R100 pan (deep pan) with a drain plug to replace my 2WD one. I think an external inline filter would also be a good idea. If I wanted to install a transmission temperature gauge, where would be the best place to put the sensor?

OK here we go. LOL
If the oil is black Or is mud red. and you change the oil. the trans is junk already and change the oil or not the trans will slip soon. and changing the oil will surely make it slip sooner the latter.

If the oil is red or clear then the trans is in good shape and a oil change is going to help it.

There should be a drain plug on the convertor But I dont know not all years had it. But its under the hole in the bell housing .

And for the oil there been a lot of TSB on the oil used in E4OD and 4R100 over the 15 years the trans were used. And the TSB put out in 2008 says that MerconV is the oil that ford wants you to uses. Mostly because the oils have gotten better over the years.

And for that big as hell Oil pan !! what is that thing 95F350XL a 30qt oil pan? LOL.
The amount of oil in the pan only has to do with the oil temp to a point. and that pan is way WAY overboard. Believe I know im new on here. But I know just a little about makeing a E4OD Live and pushing it way past what it should be able to live at. 210F is as how as you dare get one of these trans. spend your money on a 1 or 2 real big oil cooler with fans if need be. I dont think you will really need 2 or fans, But you get the jiff.

And were to put the temp sensor? On the drivers side of the trans right with the pan rail theres a 1/8 pipe plug. that the main line Psi test port. that that plug out and put it there.

Hope this helps. If you need some more info just ask. I been playing with these damn trans for way to long. LOL ever one else that does what i do has wimp out and put a POS GM trans in the place of the E4OD and still want to call it a street truck. LOL

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
If you get the 4wd pan, make sure to buy the 4wd filter also! I think there is a plug in the side of the trans, people use that from what I remember. Most of the bigger pans have it in there.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I have put a shift kit in my 95 F350 E4OD and love the way it shifted, never had a prob. Most probs are from lack of maintenance, and not working the trans the correct way. I think that pan adds like 3 or 4 qt, just looks massive in the pics lol

Hell yea it does. looks like it 30 qt pan.LOL The Moroso makes a pan for them that holds 3 qt but it isnt so deep, Because as we all know with Gen8 trucks the E4OD hangs lower then the frame. And if you ride low like me or go off roading
the trans tends to take a beating

As for maintenance with oil changes ever 30,000 miles Ive gotten 270.000 miles out of them. and thats with me really being hard on them. overloaded , Put them on a job and stating then in the morning and driving then around the job site all do stop and go all day.

And my race truck that has a E4OD i build myself that is i a 4500lb Lighting that has at the least 600RWHP and 700RWTQ at all times. And that been in that truck for 4 years now.

The 4R100 in F350 got 125.000 And its still like new. Its been a good truck .

460Fanatic

460Fanatic
I have thought about putting a shift kit into mine. What all is involved? Do you all have any recommendations on particular shift kits?

460Fanatic

460Fanatic
I just thought of a few questions regarding the fluid change. My original gasket is cork, and my replacement (I bought the filter and gasket kit in preparation for the change) is neoprene. Could there be any issues with leakage after installation? Also, what is the best way to clean up in the inside of the pan? Thanks!

I have thought about putting a shift kit into mine. What all is involved? Do you all have any recommendations on particular shift kits?

Unless your going to do any towing at at or over the GVW of your truck. or you going to try to race it. I would let it be. I dont know if a valve body of a E4OD with 12 check balls in it and 4 Valve body under the oil pan is someplace
for someone that never had the pan off a trans before.

Sorry im not trying to belittle you. But there not like a C6 or C4 inside. You over tighting a Valve body bolt on that thing and its get a internal valve body leek and it will not even go in drive.

Hay when you take the old filter out. Make sure the o-ring came out of the pump if not get a pick and pull it out. happen all the time.
If a short filter cam out put the same back in . same if it a long one. Unless that is you going to change it to a long filter and going with a 4x4 pan.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I hate the way the stock E4OD shiftes, slow, slipping shift. Shift kit cured that. I just daily drove the F350 with the shift kit. I used the B&M Kit. They have a great diag of where all the ck balls go and the instructions are really good.

You might be right. Because Its been so long from the last time i drove a stock E4OD. the stock 4R100 in my truck does not seam to be that way to me.

I put the transgo Tugger 2 kit in all my E4OD and 4R100. But thats got parts and Vavles for ever part of that trans and some that go in the pump. So that not some thing for him.

460Fanatic

460Fanatic
Twiceblown351, I know your intent was not condescending. However, I have studied The E4OD via diagrams, schematics, videos, and online discussions about it since I bought this truck so I do possess a pretty good idea of how it works. Nevertheless, I realize that hands-on experience is still extremely important. It is not my intention to dig into the transmission during my first oil change with it. I just want to change the fluid, filter and gasket, and acquire some first-hand knowledge of the valve body (i.e observing how it is designed and constructed). I asked about the shift kits because many people recommend them and I wanted to get a few ideas of specific kits.

Thank you both for all the advice. Have a happy new year!

Usually the issue of changing the trans fluid on a older ford that has either never been changed or change a long time ago, causing trans failure is not because of the age, its because of the miles. The clutches wear out and the dirty old fluid holds them together. New fluid with detergents and what not will clean them and then will slip because the dirt is no longer there to hold the clutches together.

Your truck I think would be fine, because it only has 63k on it, so the trans should not be worn, and should be fine with a fluid change.

Ford Truck Articles