Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E4OD shifts rough

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Hi guys;
Can anybody tell me something?
When I'm moving away from a trafficlight (trans on temp), and I do that with 1600revs, from 2-3 is a bit a rough shift... When I rev her up to 1900-2000, she shifts fine.... Moving away when the oil is cold, gives a 1600 revs also a nice shift.... The trans works nice overall and there is no slip. I swapped oil and filter.
Has anybody an idea?

best regards Ton

blacksnapon

Staff member
SHIFT CONCERNS: HARSH 2-3 SHIFT ONLY (AUTOMATIC) Possible Component Reference/Action
233 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System
Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module
Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for diagnosis. Service as required.

333 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Main Controls
Bolts not tightened to specification
Retighten bolts to specification.

Gaskets damaged
Inspect for damage and replace.

Direct clutch accumulator regulator valve, plungers, springs stuck, missing, damaged, misassembled
Inspect for damage. Service as required.

Wrong parts used in rebuild
Verify that proper parts were used.

Center Support Assembly
Seal rings damaged

Outside diameter or case bore damaged or leaking

Direct Clutch Assembly
Assembly
Air check clutch assembly as outlined in the service manual.

Seals, piston or cylinder damaged

Friction elements damaged, missing or improper quantity of plates were installed

Ball check missing, not seating

Intermediate brake drum inner diameter damaged or worn

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Hi Blacksnapon:)
Yhanks for your reply. That's a whole list of "could be this or that"! Is it a wise thing to dismantle the solenoid packs to inspect the plungers and their springs at first? The checkballs is no job to do with the trans in situ; the ball will fall on the ground!
Is there a scheme for the solenoidpacks? I do have Chiltons here, but they write about the common tranny's not especial E4OD.

best regards Ton

blacksnapon

Staff member
Removing and inspecting the solenoids is not much of a job. Dropping the valve body and doing it on the bench is best. Just watch carefully how everything fits together (especially the manual lever or shifter). The checkballs wont be a problem until you remove the seperator plate. Just remember "bathtubs"(oval shaped) and "sinks"(circular). Thats where the balls go. Wear of the checkballs is possible.

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Goodmorning Blacksnapon;
I have no plans to remove the separatorplate because of the checkballs who might fall down. Because of the fact that with a cold trans, she shifts fine and when I rev her up... It's only when I just "slip away"with less or no revs. It must be a pressure thing; something makes the 2-3 rough... all the other shifts are fine, so it cannot be the pressureregulator; it has something to do with 2-3 only.... I'm gonna find that out.

best regards Ton

this could just be as simple as a bad ground, try running a new 6mm² ground cable from the transmission onto the negative from the batery might help.

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Goodmorning Johnny;
I've done that allready and it worked for a short time. sometimes when I reset the PCM it shifts fine. this winter I'm gonna inspect the solenoidpack.
the strange thing is, with a cold tranny it shifts fine.

best regards Ton

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have same issues at times . Could be months apart . But will shift hard for couple shift or hang up . Then at time when following someone at slow speed it down hill it acts like it kicks into nuetral . Not MPLS I put new on Then nothing for months . I get the beater car running I'll get it looked at .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts